• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Small piece of land. 30 acres.

Jayo

See anything that stands out that you'd set up on. Can't hunt it during the rut. Hunting it this weekend.

1634745937840.png

I'd hunt the southeast corner off that inside corner of that field to the south if I couldn't be bothered to walk 30 acres before I hunted it. Walk the property line and then check out what looks like those brushy/swampy pockets. Shouldn't take a couple of hours to know absolutely everything about that property.

I'd hunt the southeast corner off that inside corner of that field to the south if I couldn't be bothered to walk 30 acres before I hunted it. Walk the property line and then check out what looks like those brushy/swampy pockets. Shouldn't take a couple of hours to know absolutely everything about that property.
This x2

Yeah, set up the first morning, (or wait until first light and find good sign.) Then get down and slowly walk looking for sign. Find something good to set up for the evening. 30 acres is nothing to cover from 10am to 2 pm, back in a good spot hunting by 3 for sunset.

Have you been spotting those fields in the evenings? If you can shine I would do that to. Should give you a good idea of what’s around and where they go to feed in the ag and on what winds/weather conditions.

Soon as you walk the whole 30 acres during hunting season, that 30 acres is about the same as walmart parking lot looking for hot chics. May see one ,but they are probably all at starbucks now. Wont hit Walmart til way after dark. All the deer will be gone for a bit.

See anything that stands out that you'd set up on. Can't hunt it during the rut. Hunting it this weekend.

View attachment 55252
Where is your access point? Find your best bedding area on the parcel, and stay away from it. Hunt any of the inside corners with a travel route to food source.

If this is urban, there's a good chance the deer know where the human activity typically is and have bedding setup in a way that's to their advantage, where they can smell behind them and see activity in front of them. It's nice you've got access via 2 sides, presumably. You should be able to use that to your advantage. Have you walked all up and down that road on the West looking for trails crossing?

My eyes are drawn to the "finger" sticking into the property about halfway across the south boundary. If that is a narrow opening, I would set up at the point of it....

Can’t hunt it during the rut. So I figure that means first two weeks of November? Get right in there. Who cares if you blow it up? You can’t hunt it for a while anyways. You get the benefit of all the sign that’s being laid down right now. I’d find a fresh scrape that was close to where I thought one would lay, preferably it’s still wet, and setup. But I wouldn’t be afraid to walk all over it one time either.

Soon as you walk the whole 30 acres during hunting season, that 30 acres is about the same as walmart parking lot looking for hot chics. May see one ,but they are probably all at starbucks now. Wont hit Walmart til way after dark. All the deer will be gone for a bit.
Funny how I still see deer on their feet in daylight on public land.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Funny how I still see deer on their feet in daylight on public land.

How big is your public? How many hunt there? How well do you know the property? Do you walk the entire property and then hunt it? Is your public very similar to this? Same state, same season?

Before piling on...

Maybe it's ok for us to not know it all.

It's true you can bump deer, and they may return shortly.

It's also true that you can walk 30acres and push the deer off the property awhile.

Without having walked the property, I don't know how to a anticipate what might happen when this property is walked. I'd hesitate to stomp it over unnecessarily, but that might well be the best course of action too.

Last edited:
How big is your public? How many hunt there? How well do you know the property? Do you walk the entire property and then hunt it? Is your public very similar to this? Same state, same season?

Before piling on...

Maybe it's ok for us to not know it all.

It's true you can bump deer, and they may return shortly.

It's also true that you can walk 30acres and push the deer off the property awhile.

Without having walked the property, I don't know how to a anticipate what might happen when this property is walked. I'd hesitate to stomp it over unnecessarily.
I hunt public from dozens of acres to tens of thousands, and all of them see more traffic than one guy walking on them.

I hunt public from dozens of acres to tens of thousands, and all of them see more traffic than one guy walking on them.

Does your public have the same elevation, the same tree density, the same tree species? What is the off-season human pressure? How do the surrounding areas correlate to this situation? What exactly is in those seemingly more open areas on the photo? What's it look like outside the margins?

I've hunted a few properties myself, and I've seen some variation in deer responses. Enough to suggest that I'll never know exactly what will happen when I step onto a map.

I've seen 30 acres pushed out. I guess that's just outside of your experience.

At least start by still hunting through, slowly, methodically. Win, win.

How do you folks who don’t bump deer keep your local coyotes out of there? Y’all got an in with their union?

Back