• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smallest diameter on tether rope

Anyone using 8mm accessory cord for a tether or bridge? Thinking that for tether and bridge with a 1/4" amsteel loop for prussic would be a nice compact setup. Seems to be rated fairly high, 4200lb tensile strength.

Anyone using 8mm accessory cord for a tether or bridge? Thinking that for tether and bridge with a 1/4" amsteel loop for prussic would be a nice compact setup. Seems to be rated fairly high, 4200lb tensile strength.
I'll be using Samson ultra-tech 8mm for my linesman and tether. 7800lb rating

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I’m using 8mm tether but am not sure what it is. It’s paired with a Kong Duck.
I think I’m going to try the amsteel prussik and see if I like it. But I definitely like the 8mm better than the bigger ones I’ve used in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have used 8 mm Samson ultra tech with a kong or ct roll and lock or a ropeman 2

1/4" amsteel in a continuous loop worked extremely well for me for several hours yesterday on the Predator rope that came with the Kestrel. No slippage on my bridge or tether. I put it through several "tests" and it worked great.
e149caae370d1feac3359b45798a7829.jpg
c875c70cc5036baa12150effcee1589f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A hollow block is small light and designed to be used as a prussic and can be used on a very wide variety of rope widths. It slides easy and locks well. For the cost I would agree with Red it is the better option. I have used the hollow block and they work well. That said I have never used amsteel that way.

Redsquirrel certainly has more knowledge and experience than I. I do know it worked well for me yesterday, but if I go to 8mm rope it may not have such a mechanical advantage. 1/4" prussic on 11mm vs 1/4 on 8mm may be pushing it.

Redsquirrel certainly has more knowledge and experience than I. I do know it worked well for me yesterday, but if I go to 8mm rope it may not have such a mechanical advantage. 1/4" prussic on 11mm vs 1/4 on 8mm may be pushing it.

I was thinking 7/16 is what I need. I like to tinker with different setups and I’ll try it and see if I like it.

I would be extremely cautious using amsteel for a prussik. Even though a continuous loop with a prussik is technically not a "knot", they're several knot like bends being made. It will work great, until it doesn't.

I was thinking 7/16 is what I need. I like to tinker with different setups and I’ll try it and see if I like it.

I wish yall wouldve said something about concerns in my "Amsteel prussic" thread I started yesterday. I've went and got excited now!

1/4" amsteel in a continuous loop worked extremely well for me for several hours yesterday on the Predator rope that came with the Kestrel. No slippage on my bridge or tether. I put it through several "tests" and it worked great.

I wish yall wouldve said something about concerns in my "Amsteel prussic" thread I started yesterday. I've went and got excited now!

Sorry I'm just catching up on all the threads now lol.
You just don't gain anything by using amsteel here. The hollowblock is probably the same size if not smaller and very light. It will definitely work on 8mm rope. You just may need to give it another twist to get it to bite.

Another thing I would do is flip that bridge to tether biner so the gate is pointed out and the opening to the bottom

I am using Teufelberger Reep Schnur 10mm for everything on my customized Web . I use it for my primary bridge,my secondary bridge for climbing, my linesman/lanyard setup and my tree tether with the Rockman. Lightweight, knots well and is a cool green to boot.

I have used 8 mm ultra tech with a kong or CT roll and lock or a ropeman 2.

I have also used the above for a linemans belt. It is significantly lighter and still very strong.

I'd use a 28" 8mm ocean eye to eye over amsteel for a hitch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back