• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smoker Recipes Please!

Letemgrowitllshow

Alright guys, my wife got me a smoker. Never smoked anything but very eager to learn. I'm doing the pre-smoke (seasoning) tonight and plan of doing some chicken wings tomorrow night.

So if you have a favorite smoker recipe let's have it! Any tips are welcome too!

The smoker has a digital thermometer and a meat probe to monitor the internal meat temp.

Am curious to hear what guys from a cold climate have to say about temp control. I was watching the temp some tonight and it was fluctuating about 20 degrees or so. Outside temp was 13 degrees with slight wind. Is this that fluctuating in temp normal?

If Im using mine out in the wind I put a cardboard box over it. Obviously not too close but it really helps. Just leave the top open on the box.

What smoker do you have? I have noticed that my internal temperature reading with my probe is different than my smoker reading. I use the probe as my trusted temperature when I need a specific temperature. I just have a masterbuilt but gets the job done.

I just made some venison summer sausage and had the smoker just into the garage with the overhead door open. I think it was about low 30s that day. I live in SE Wi and have used the smoker all over the temperature spectrum. I know certain brands make a insulation wrap that you could try.

I just use the smoker as is and disregard the smoker's internal temperature reading.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Here is a marinade I use for beef brisket. I soak it for 24 hours and turn it once. It turns out really well. Just have to smoke it until internal temperature gets up to 200-205°F if you want to shred it.

I like doing pork and chicken with a rub on it. I have a Byron mixon cookbook on smoking. Some good recipes in there.
f1062f12b57f6675e16c98c874af4ec1.jpg

Am curious to hear what guys from a cold climate have to say about temp control. I was watching the temp some tonight and it was fluctuating about 20 degrees or so. Outside temp was 13 degrees with slight wind. Is this that fluctuating in temp normal?

Is this a pellet smoker or charcoal or something else? I have a weber bullet (charcoal) smoker. Temp swings of 50 degrees are common; swings to the low side are easy to deal with, but swings high are a pain. Pellet smokers are less susceptable to this as I understand. At the end of the day, exposure to smoke for a few hours is the most important factor-you can always finish in your oven if temps swing wildly.

This forum has some good info including recipes, but not as active as it used to be:

Cut back strap into 2 pieces take half and marinade it however you like leave in mari ade in fridge overnight. Wrap in bacon smoke it at 225 til internal temp is 145. So juicy cut into about 1-1 1/2 inch slices.. most amazing deer steaks ever.

What smoker do you have? I have noticed that my internal temperature reading with my probe is different than my smoker reading. I use the probe as my trusted temperature when I need a specific temperature. I just have a masterbuilt but gets the job done.

I just made some venison summer sausage and had the smoker just into the garage with the overhead door open. I think it was about low 30s that day. I live in SE Wi and have used the smoker all over the temperature spectrum. I know certain brands make a insulation wrap that you could try.

I just use the smoker as is and disregard the smoker's internal temperature reading.

Is this a pellet smoker or charcoal or something else? I have a weber bullet (charcoal) smoker. Temp swings of 50 degrees are common; swings to the low side are easy to deal with, but swings high are a pain. Pellet smokers are less susceptable to this as I understand. At the end of the day, exposure to smoke for a few hours is the most important factor-you can always finish in your oven if temps swing wildly.

This forum has some good info including recipes, but not as active as it used to be:

It's a wood chip electric smoker. Masterbuilt brand with the window on the door. I think I'll try it with in the garage with the overhead door open to keep it out of the wind tonight. The smoker temp ranged from 258-277 last night but the meat probe temp was at 195 and it was just sitting in the smoker. I'll just have to play with it. Going to put some hard boiled eggs in there while I do chicken tonight.

It's a wood chip electric smoker. Masterbuilt brand with the window on the door. I think I'll try it with in the garage with the overhead door open to keep it out of the wind tonight. The smoker temp ranged from 258-277 last night but the meat probe temp was at 195 and it was just sitting in the smoker. I'll just have to play with it. Going to put some hard boiled eggs in there while I do chicken tonight.

I have heard that a meat probe will not give you a super accurate reading just sitting in the smoker. Buy a over thermometer it will give you a better reading. Probes are not always accurate you need to calibrate it (iced water and boiling water) to see how far off it is.

The fluctuating temp is normal with a chip smoker.

Not sure what chicken you are looking at doing but if it is a whole chicken it should be cooked at 200 ish for the first hour or 2 and then cranked up to 350 to get the skin crispy. Eggs should only be cooked at 200 to 225 (I only do an hour) other wise they will get rubbery. Everyone does it different but that is what has worked best for me. If you just smoke the chicken at 225 the entire time the skin will be uneatable.

The reverse sear. It'll be the best steak you eat.

Take and salt and pepper your steak, preheat your grill to 225-250.

Smoke the steak to 130-135.

While its smoking get a skillet blazing hot with olive oil. Make sure that it has a strong sizzle when you put the meat in there. Add a tablespoon of butter when you drop your steaks in. Cook until you have a nice crisped outer crust on the steak. Flip it and add rosemary and minced garlic and a bit more butter. Use your spoon to drizzle the melted butter, garlic and rosemary over your steak. Once that side is seared, make an aluminum foil envelope and put your steak inside. Let it rest 10 minutes.

And while its resting, you should stretch and drink water. Cause your wife is gonna be grateful.

Yeah my model masterbuilt had the temperature off a little too. (I think 10°) I don't have the glass door though.

Bumping this thread to bring attention to a fantastic cut often ignored at the grocery store: Pork Tenderloin. Great on the smoker and not too expensive--I'm seeing $3.20/lb around here certainly much less than beef. Not through all my venison yet so this is great for variety.

Bumping this thread to bring attention to a fantastic cut often ignored at the grocery store: Pork Tenderloin. Great on the smoker and not too expensive--I'm seeing $3.20/lb around here certainly much less than beef. Not through all my venison yet so this is great for variety.
You think it is under utilized? Where I live in Wisconsin people cook that a lot. Not as much as pork chops but quite a bit. I can sometimes find the Smithfield tenderloin for $1.99 a pound at the local grocery store. I prefer to buy from the local butcher though to support the local farmer.

I have been watching a lot of YouTube grillers a lot too since I bought my GMG Daniel Boone. A lot of great recipes for pork tenderloin.

You think it is under utilized? Where I live in Wisconsin people cook that a lot. Not as much as pork chops but quite a bit....

My observations during the great meat-hording of 2020 showed that this cut was often left after the hoi polloi bought up all the standard meat products. YMMV.

just have to watch your meat temps close with the tenderloins, because they can dry out really fast if you cook past 150 degrees internal temp! but when you get it dialed in, its awesome. I smoked 4 pork tenderloins last Sunday. Took about 1:45 @ 225 degrees, let them cool down then vacuum sealed the last 3 and froze. About 10-12 minutes in a pot of boiling water and they're like the day you cooked them!

just have to watch your meat temps close with the tenderloins, because they can dry out really fast if you cook past 150 degrees internal temp! but when you get it dialed in, its awesome. I smoked 4 pork tenderloins last Sunday. Took about 1:45 @ 225 degrees, let them cool down then vacuum sealed the last 3 and froze. About 10-12 minutes in a pot of boiling water and they're like the day you cooked them!

That's exactly how I do them. Smoke up a bunch and vacuum seal steak-size portions. :)

Next time you fire it up....throw some hotdogs on. They will make you smile. If you like hot dogs that is.

Hard to go wrong with the standard issue pork shoulder (pork butt). I roll “Texas Style” rub generously with kosher salt and black pepper. Smoke to internal of 200 for pulled pork less if you want to slice. Using salt and pepper allows you to use leftovers in different ways. Eg: burritos, tacos, tossed with scrambled eggs, green chili stew, pulled pork nachos. You get the picture. Most commercial pork rubs have a lot o’ sugar in them. Nothing wrong with that but if you want to use it in other ways it distracts IMHO.

Also, according to my training, meats stop “taking smoke” around 135. Especially starting out don’t hesitate to pull and wrap in foil to let it finish. A lot of folks call that a “crutch” I call it pretty smart LOL. Resting afterwards is key. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been making a lot of ribs this year. They are good, but the electric smokers leaves something to be desired. I'd like to get a drum smoker for more authentic BBQ flavor.

Next time you fire it up....throw some hotdogs on. They will make you smile. If you like hot dogs that is.

Hard to go wrong with the standard issue pork shoulder (pork butt). I roll “Texas Style” rub generously with kosher salt and black pepper. Smoke to internal of 200 for pulled pork less if you want to slice. Using salt and pepper allows you to use leftovers in different ways. Eg: burritos, tacos, tossed with scrambled eggs, green chili stew, pulled pork nachos. You get the picture. Most commercial pork rubs have a lot o’ sugar in them. Nothing wrong with that but if you want to use it in other ways it distracts IMHO.

Also, according to my training, meats stop “taking smoke” around 135. Especially starting out don’t hesitate to pull and wrap in foil to let it finish. A lot of folks call that a “crutch” I call it pretty smart LOL. Resting afterwards is key. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah hot dogs in the GMG are awesome. I have also found that resting before eating really helps to bring out a lot of juiciness and flavor. It's really worth the wait.

Back