• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smoothing Out The Predators Rough Edges

ricky racer

I took a little time to update my new Gen 2 Predator today. I followed the good advice of Denots by adding a bushing I made from Delrin. The pivot bolt was waxed by Ernie, which is in my view, a good short term fix. The bushing should be a permanent fix for the creaking and popping that others experienced this past season.

jNKpMI400lBBNzC-STif6bVKS2PdIKTZvARDo5CMnVhc0a_QrHw9u_OzGiReWkBz5HQIg9t08BmHOq21RHGeWUJGiO7OpJxIDzdThB1sxU2ePQBFhcyl9Uo5oHqg3BbbngznthcFpHinXq9C3PBr4eT9l3nnhvFvMgibpbVYcZwKof8cmffugXg-U67eZ0IfoSsinae24GakEcFavYhtyiKrm20GHE_k1OsbqrpRDTuWdp_AScFBrorhSwtmqb-tWSp1UQxWrBXGDvaNNk6ENEXZ7fZkucFoli2UOXw39BIFLSE97lUhOHveeZPFqCd78E_7gQi5HM3kE93qOLm41iGDsWuQfgC8tQWlSGLv9nr3u9-0K97tX_kEKscg9locc8Y7ydlnENt1fEBMJ9R60cE7mY3vD5MltzIsy8bQjj6wuj35TJRtSLmH1onAXk1sOeA9g84SqLmdBmi7idv1Eyqp_zbCHLI6wXYneLQ220CpEZaimseH9YTVFDJxLSawky1371Jg4mTl1AU8rxXsYhzWPrTq4ysazshN6vaOgeOdAcfVgo5RcrLIqaDiS5khZVbz5vpRVDPi17Fj_MmesO-TUsOgED9M_QuVqYd29pD8k8DJjlfdJ6OjDMHFwSILdqbxwXV-dbuC1dP7Y1klo8Ea=w360-h640-no

Next, I took all the aluminum cast parts to work and tumbled them to remove all of the sharp edges. I hit the worst spots with a file before tossing them in the tumbler. This made the castings feel finished like something you would buy in a store instead of a raw, rough casting with sharp edges that could cut you if you weren't careful. I really think the Tethrd needs to look into this process before shipping out their platforms. I've used the services of a processor to do the same thing in the past on products that I made in my garage and sold world wide to bow hunters. I'm sure they can find a processor near them and the cost isn't obtrusive.

_JeFWCniajU_eLrrESClgOPIYen--qqJRNrWvfgSjcQG8mIo0_-PRJEnOGo0muTf6Q-uAtxdxBSm6KNJmWJBc8LCb9c5QBoAnqsN7pbqMsb8XK_UhFNsTq2Wy-72VSRNF6KSu0U5gOtdHGQ8cRbNwZQV2gkR0-jVcKDAP_OLYPq3PQLL85lTtKnAPv-qvWET8lOCNoHQFjRrrfuNZrk2E47ukPzr9z7TZ4ZlOR0T_Z9k7RbXYniCjaBZdZN_wt4L4Sde-7FCGzCTJRZV_KXW0DpYet1X1yoQw5akx2pnh5pueKrzpT94tUH9k6-hPKtqEtmabIqe7B2aJUOLVt44Zkn24Vq9Szfdk0PhzaxjAsypdLOugdeCjv8H0zWHjaboCwMxCJViNXrpUFe6lYBzeTzs5bowZJ21nB_3FVwQM-OJOjVUM48sHcaLJ9K4OalwxCc_5UGKkF3ORWS1hNBcYsVxQ2zJDa64vjtjv2EhRl8pg09bssDPoFKfrSuSL8a0NKBHqkqNB7JoAfhtncc_xsTHZnR-DnALpikiqWBTbagufMFSKAC_rXrgsw6V2mqLr0BFb82qhq9Czslbly6Dui5VXcTbBwOdnrDiBFScNT_BxJzhznxlp2zhMnmbrwPQZsWApXehAmm17XgtzdYzUTeo=w542-h305-no

I can't see the images for some reason. Just a circle with a minus in it. Like "image not found"?

Last edited:
The pics show up fine on my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new attempt shows up also still

I’m on iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There they are! Honestly I like the finish on my Predator. There is no flashing to speak of and the rough finish holds the paint really nice! After painting it's nice and smooth.

How did you go out making the bushing? Interested in doing something similar. Did you have to drill the post hole bigger in order to do this? Thanks

Yes. The original pivot bolt hole in the post is a clearance hole for the 5/16" bolt. I found some Delrin material that was 1/2" in diameter which was perfect. I bored a hole in the Delrin on a lathe at work. You could drill out the bushing material (which doesn't need to be Delrin. It could be many different materials like nylon, etc.) in a drill press or if you can keep it straight, a hand drill. I opened up the bolt hole in the post to 1/2" and pressed the bushing into the post.

Yes. The original pivot bolt hole in the post is a clearance hole for the 5/16" bolt. I found some Delrin material that was 1/2" in diameter which was perfect. I bored a hole in the Delrin on a lathe at work. You could drill out the bushing material (which doesn't need to be Delrin. It could be many different materials like nylon, etc.) in a drill press or if you can keep it straight, a hand drill. I opened up the bolt hole in the post to 1/2" and pressed the bushing into the post.
My hardware store has 1/2" OD nylon bushings that are the right ID. I didnt have to drill out the bushing. Drill the post...yes. Bushings...no.

Back