• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Snake Boot Recommendations… Please!

NWFBowhunter

Thanks in advance…! hunt Northwest Florida… lots of swamps and different age group cutovers… use Lacrosse Venom snake boots… great reviews but very hot… rather be hot than snake bit… but looking at lighter rubber snake boot… any reviews of what you SH guys have used…?

I’ve used muck snake boots and Danner pronghorn snake boots. The mucks held for about a year and then started to leak. They replaced them and last about a year and leaked again, just the nature of the beast. Very hot. My Danners don’t leak but also aren’t as comfortable at first being leather and taking a break in period, especially around the ankles.

I like my Lacrosse snake boots. Can’t remember exactly which ones they are, but I’m a fan.

I’ve always wondered about the 16” LL Bean boots and how they would work against fangs. Obviously the rubber lower wouldn’t do much, but the leather upper? I love my regular height Bean Boots, but never pulled the trigger on the 16” ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never felt the need to own snake boot but the ones ives seen sure do look big,bulky,heavy....question...wouldn't a gaiter offer pretty much the same protection and less weight and be cooler?

I used a pair of Rocky snake boots this fast year in coastal Mississippi. Pretty swampy here. They zip up the back. The break in period was uncomfortable on the ankles. They were hot, but after living in Ohio 14 years, I feel like I’m in an oven all the time here! But I like the boots.

I've owned the Lacrosse snake boots and they eventually cracked where the boot flexes and they leaked but, in all fairness, I walk a lot more than I think any of these current boots are meant to be worn. I still wear them sometimes, but they are not waterproof in the least anymore. They are hot but they are for protection, so it is a tradeoff.

In dry conditions I wear Irish setter snake boots. Light and comfortable. If it is likely that I will have to do some measure of wading or it is really muddy, I just wear my alpha burly's and try to be a little more aware of where I put my feet.

Never seen a comfortable snake boot. Statistically you’re at a very low chance of being bit and an almost zero percent chance from dying. You’re more likely to die getting struck by lightning. I hunt swampy snake country in Arkansas and walking through the woods in plain rubber boots is about the least risky thing I do that week.

Never seen a comfortable snake boot. Statistically you’re at a very low chance of being bit and an almost zero percent chance from dying. You’re more likely to die getting struck by lightning. I hunt swampy snake country in Arkansas and walking through the woods in plain rubber boots is about the least risky thing I do that week.
Felt that way to until I was struck at a couple of times. If a cottonmouth had a rattle he wouldnt use it until after he struck.

I've been hit several times in Arkansas by cottonmouths. I wear gaiters so I can wear any boot I want. I got the gaiters from Academy Sports for around $50

Yeah? Well what do you know about poisonous snakes? ;)

If moccasins were half as viscous as they're made out, me and my childhood buds would have all died several times over. I've ended up in an actual nest twice. Once as a barefoot kid playing in a ditch behind the house. Climbing out of the ditch I saw a moccasin. Told my buddy we'd need to get back in the ditch and climb back up out another way. He was frozen looking down. I counted an honest 5 mouths. All babies. We both jumped as far as we could back the way we came.

I've stepped on several. And usually to get that white mouth picture for the 'gram I have to throw a pinecone or poke them with a stick for a bit. They're surprisingly chill.

I used a pair of Rocky snake boots this fast year in coastal Mississippi. Pretty swampy here. They zip up the back. The break in period was uncomfortable on the ankles. They were hot, but after living in Ohio 14 years, I feel like I’m in an oven all the time here! But I like the boots.

Back