• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Snake Gaiter Suggestions

DaWiz9578

Ill be heading to texas soon and going to help a buddy down there start scouting and was going to purchase a set of snake gaiters. Couple questions

1) Any suggestions on gaiters? Ones you liked or didnt and reasons why. Im worried the ole you get what you pay for even though im trying to cheap out since I wont be spending much time in Texas, if I need the gaiters I want them to work but dont want to break the bank.

2) What kind of shoes should you wear? Steel toes would probably be best, but if I could get away with my keen hiking shoes id prefer that for scouting obviously. Would a snake not typically bite you on the foot but more in the shin or if they do decide to strike the foot is the somewhat tough material of the keen shoes enough to stop the penetration or dont chance it?

Thanks

I’ve spent a ton of time in the woods over the years , I deal with copper heads , rattlesnakes and cotton mouths over here . I prefer the lacrosse 4X ALPHA boots . This suits the terrain I’m hunting which is bottom lands , creeks and rivers . If I were to hunt in drier areas and didn’t want to spend a lot of money I’d go with rocky timber prowler boots. I had a similar pair years ago and found them to be good . The alphas will get hotter compared to the rockys . Bass pro has a sale going on now for the rocky timber prowlers you may look that up see if it meets your needs . If you plan on hunting the wetlands / bottom lands is recommended the ALPHAS .

Sam Houston National Forest (Just north of Houston) to be exact. Hilly, Piney, some low swampy areas.

If u are a person that scared of snakes then definitely wear something to ease ur mind....but as a person who lived my whole life in and around venomous snake territory I would suggest just wear ur most comfortable sneakers. The snakes don't want to bite u and will go out of their way not too. Snakes are 1of those things that trigger strong emotions from peeps.... personally i get excited when I find 1

Screenshot_20210408-191034_(1).png

If u are a person that scared of snakes then definitely wear something to ease ur mind....but as a person who lived my whole life in and around venomous snake territory I would suggest just wear ur most comfortable sneakers. The snakes don't want to bite u and will go out of their way not too. Snakes are 1of those things that trigger strong emotions from peeps.... personally i get excited when I find 1

View attachment 46631
Cool perspective...but im good. :tearsofjoy:

40% of venomous snakebite victims are those handling snakes on purpose.

there are less than 10 fatal snakebites per year in the US.

1 in 600 venomous snakebites are fatal.

8000 snakebites are reported in US each year, including non venomous.

There are 15,000,000 hunting licenses issued each year. There’s an equal number of fishing licenses issued in states that have snakes.

Half of snakebites from venomous snakes in Texas are dry bites.

Now, no sooner than you heed my reckless advice and venture into the woods with no gaiters, you’ll end up one of these statistics. The universe acts funny that way sometimes.

But as a person who generally tries to avoid unnecessary risk, I also try to avoid unnecessary worry. I’ve spent my entire life around snakes. I’ve gotten literal a$$ whippings as a kid for bringing snakes in the house and putting them in the washing machine for safe keep until I could think up a more permanent home. My entire childhood was spent barefoot in the woods and swamps. Hunting fishing hiking camping - I play in their world. I’ve been bitten by snakes in the woods. I’ve had them as pets. I’ve had a really close encounter with a rattlesnake that probably would’ve not been fun had she connected.

I still see no reason to rock snake boots. It’s simply too difficult to get far enough away from medical assistance for such an unlikely event happening, to even consider basing my choice of footwear on it. There are ten behavior modifications or products you can buy right now that will decrease your risk of death or serious injury exponentially over buying snake gaiters. And none of them are all that intrusive. If risk management is the name of the game, you’ve got better options. If feeling good is the name of the game, drugs and alcohol or watching a baby giggle are cheaper...

Last edited:
Even here in FL swamps normal non-snake proof rubber boots work fine

If a snake strikes, u feel a thud against boot

Don’t know anyone personally that has been bitten thru a normal rubber boot in 40yrs of being in woods

I’m sure it can happen tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill be heading to texas soon and going to help a buddy down there start scouting and was going to purchase a set of snake gaiters. Couple questions

1) Any suggestions on gaiters? Ones you liked or didnt and reasons why. Im worried the ole you get what you pay for even though im trying to cheap out since I wont be spending much time in Texas, if I need the gaiters I want them to work but dont want to break the bank.

2) What kind of shoes should you wear? Steel toes would probably be best, but if I could get away with my keen hiking shoes id prefer that for scouting obviously. Would a snake not typically bite you on the foot but more in the shin or if they do decide to strike the foot is the somewhat tough material of the keen shoes enough to stop the penetration or dont chance it?

Thanks
I wear rubber boots into the Florida swamps. We have big eastern diamond back rattlers and more cottonmouths then you know what to do with. Last season I had one nip slightly through the rubber. Didn’t break skin, I was fine but I switched to Dryshod rubber boots with built in viper tech. It’s the best of both worlds. They are pricey but the boots are comfy, cool enough to wear in the heat and snake proof up to the bottom of you knee caps.

Last edited:

View attachment 46631
I wear rubber snake boots because when it’s dark and I’m blood trailing, the last thing I’m looking for is a curled up rattler. I have zero fear I’ve even held them in a rattlesnake round up, but I know me thrashing around trying to find an animal and I don’t need them biting my expensive Nike’s lmao

Think I may shoot the middle here then. I have thicker rubber boots for hunting so I guess those will be good enough. Just wearing tennis shoes doesnt really ease my mind. Given the statistics above and seeing as you guys from the areas that should be concerned about it are not I think the rubber boots will protect me enough. Appreciate all the feedback and insight.

Back