• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Solo scout

kenn1320

Just got this in the mail today from a fellow member. Was gonna order one new, but don't have 2wks to wait. Its smaller than I thought, but I can shoot 360 on a tree this size. Im more of a stander,, so this will take some getting used to. Just tied on a tubular 3 step aider and plan to 1 stick it so to speak.

Attachments

• received_381155849598854.jpeg
    received_381155849598854.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 86
I considering getting one off those for next season to pair with a couple of steps. I think it would make a great platform. My only concern is that in the area I’m hunting, I often have some larger trees to hunt, say basketball and larger.

I considering getting one off those for next season to pair with a couple of steps. I think it would make a great platform. My only concern is that in the area I’m hunting, I often have some larger trees to hunt, say basketball and larger.

I dont understand why you guys are concerned with the size of the tree? this will go on anything that the strap will allow.

I have hunted all season with mine and love this thing so far. It is very easy to carry in and carry up the tree. I tie about 6" 550 cord loop around all of my sticks and platforms so I can hook them to kydex mole gear hooks that I have installed on the loops of my saddle or in my case battle belt. I place the OOAL scout on the very back one when climbing up. Anyway, I one stick up and then set the solo scout up at my desired HH which is about a "knee eight" over the top of my upper one stick step. Although the platform seems small it is made to rest your toes or sides of feet or heels on intermittently. I switch throughout my hunt as desired. I have some old ameristep plastic tree steps that I may slide on the buckle attachment strap when hunting with my heavier, bulkier winter boots for gun and late bow season to position on either side of the solo scout but so far this platform has been completely sufficient for my needs. Lastly, I added a Stealth Strip buckle cover over the strap buckle and that keeps much of the noise down. The solo has a textured coating but on rainy sits if you have rubber boots it may squeak a bit depending on your boot. I did get the RedBeard/Amsteel Guy "Workhourse" aider system but haven't had the time to put it together yet to use to simply climb with the platform but I do plan on doing that still this year. Time will tell. I rather hunt now than fiddle with gear but I also enjoy the gear.

The platform hugs the tree pretty closely so on a large tree you would probably have to turn your toes outward to fit, depending on shoe size.
oh ok i have one on my stick and the stand off makes it roomy but i could see how that would be a problem on the solo

Is there an advantage to the solo scout vs. the scout on a stick?
Just more options and it gives someone that may like the sticks they already have another option for a smaller less bulky platform that is rock solid. You do have to make sure you cam it over but it is super easy. Just pick up on it and then "pop" it over. If you just cam it over with out raising the platform a little higher than the strap (like the WE Stepps) It will not cam down as solidly but again, it takes a very minor adjustment and cams over very nicely on all different types and sizes of trees so far. I haven't put it on any monster size tries but from smallish 6-8 diameter to 18 or so plus diameter trees for sure. I also have the scout on a mini shikar but haven't really used it yet either so can't really provide a fair comparison. I don't like to rush into anything too much and try to hunt with what I have been using during season but I may try it out relatively soon. The other big thing is you can use the Solo Scout as your climbing platform as per the RedBeard method and gives you even less bulk and weight as there is no stick.

I dont understand why you guys are concerned with the size of the tree? this will go on anything that the strap will allow.

I get that. I’ve just read some reports from people using them that it wasn’t as comfortable on larger diameter trees. The larger diameter of the tree seemed to cramp where the toes would go. Just what I’ve read from others using it.

I recently purchased a Solo Scout and have used it on one 3 hour hunt so far. I paired it with a few treehopper steps to create the R.O.S. around the tree as well. At first I was concerned the Cam Strap would not be tight enough to hold the steps in place although as you cam over the Solo Scout it adds enough tension on the strap to keep the steps nice and secure. I did give this product a good review on the OOAL website and honestly feel this is an upgrade to my kit.

I climbed with it tonight, that went well. The tree had a slight lean to the right, but I wanted to set up for the shot, not the lean. That was a long sit as platform also leaned. I set my tether biased to left, but right leg and hip felt it all night. I wish the platform was a bit bigger as I'm a stander. With my heels on the platform, my foot is close to hitting the lever on the buckle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201030-205128_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201030-205128_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20201030-205104_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201030-205104_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Back