• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Solution for sore knees and feet with Evo?

Gr33n Arrow

So, I am on my lunch break thinking about hunting (as if that ever happens) and several posts I have read about the Evo not having a whale tail like the Trophyline. I am a new saddle hunter (LOVING IT) but love mods, diy and saving money.

I am not familiar with other saddles, but was thinking that this may be a possible solution and thought I would run it by the "experts."

What I was thinking of is a rope ~4' with carabiners on each end (optional, could be knots, prusik, etc., but I like the thought of being able to remove it) going through two pieces of pvc ~2' each.

You would then clip the carabiners on your paws, pull the pvc close to the carabiners on both hips then position the rope between the pvc against the tree. The rope with pressure should stay in place with little movement and the pvc would keep you away from tree allowing legs to hang freely and comfortably. When ready to shoot, stand up on platform allowing brace to hang.

Not sure if this is feasible, and are probably the ramblings of a madman, but thought I would share anyway. You have all taught me so much and I am simply looking to contribute.

Wishing I was in a tree...

93485870ac212f7b03e3a6cade2b827f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certainly an interesting idea. I'm also at work (not thinking or reading about hunting) and will be not thinking about your idea for a while, during work

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Your straps may work out well.
I have a hard-based platform seat where I screwed in a 'T' connector to the bottom of it. I carry in a small length of PVC pipe and can install it when I am at height to function in a similar role as the fork in the GW stand.

If your straps don't work out, you could possibly sew a loop or something else on the bottom of your seat to function in a similar fashion. I have begun to really like this pipe extension. It is completely out of the way, easy to use and doesn't alter my set up at all. Best of all, no knee pads are needed as my knees never contact the tree.

Just some ramblings from a guy who doesn't own your type of saddle...

Interesting idea, I wonder if the pvc pipe would fold up at the paws and end up pushing into your waist? The only other thing would be to make sure it doesnt make to much noise or movement when you press off your steps (to stand) and shoot.

Your idea got me wondering if a pouch could be sewn in on the bottom of the seat and you could slip in a piece of aluminum flat bar to keep you off the tree? Ive never really paid much attention to where the seat comes around the bottom of your butt. Not sure if it wraps around to the front of your crotch enough for the bar to seat against the tree correctly. Heck, maybe the bar could be bent in a way to come out at the right angle. If it worked, you could have a snap on the bar and a little tether from the outside of the pouch to snap to the bar to keep it from coming out? Positives would be it could be removed while climbing or not even used by those who dont need it. I might have to try that....I could always just sit on the bar (between my butt and the seat) and see if it would work. I guess I could round off the edges of the bar and wrap it in something to make sure it doesnt puncture the seat.

My guess would be the pressure from bar against the seat would cause some comfort problems.

Either way, it would be awesome if something could be down to give you the whale tail like the Guidos web on the new tribe. But removable for climbing....it would add a little weight though.

I use just a piece of 3/4" without the 'whale's tail' shape. It works for me. I guess that the broader end may give a little more stability, but I don't move around too much when leaning against the tree in this fashion so it wouldn't impact my set up too much in a positive way.

Sitting on it may not be that uncomfortable if you use a flat bar as you suggested, but then again I have absolutely nothing to base that on, sitting on PVC is another matter...

Impeccable timing; I just purchased a couple of short pieces of pvc to do some experimenting and testing for my GW.

Scott F said:
Your straps may work out well.
I have a hard-based platform seat where I screwed in a 'T' connector to the bottom of it. I carry in a small length of PVC pipe and can install it when I am at height to function in a similar role as the fork in the GW stand.

What size pvc are you using? I just purchased some 1 1/4 to act as a "socket" for my GW. Use the rear and middle screw/rivet hole and bolt straight thru the pvc and use a 1 1/4" two hole electrical strap up front so to not block off the "socket".

A short one inch piece will slip right into the 1 1/4". Will notch the 1" to fit around one of the 1/4-20s in the middle screw/rivet location, so it wont turn. Re-inforce the 1" if needed with a 1" dowel rod inside; fits perfect. Have a fork on the end of the 1"

Could also joint the 1" and have shock cord to reduce clumsy length and have it attached to the rear screw/rivet bolt, like tent poles.

ok, scratch my idea of the aluminum flat bar. I went outside in the light rain and put on the evo. The bar would have to be way to long. GR33....I think your idea may have some potential. You can call it the nun chucks. Scott, how long is the pvc pipe between the T and the tree? I suspect it works great with your setup. Hell, I may just have make one of those board swings and try it.

I'm no expert, but don't discount the simplicity of the ol' plywood swing in a tree!
It is comfortable as can be and super easy to pack in and out. It also works perfectly for me to carry my LW sticks in with.

I currently use a 3/4" PVC that is 10" long. This is the length that I use because it fits perfectly into a bag that I have on my lineman's belt (DIY style as well).
Truth be told, I would probably appreciate a 12" piece of pipe, but I am willing to sacrifice a little to gain the portability of the shorter one in the bag.

I considered putting a 'T' connector on the pipe to function as the whale's tail fork on a GW but never got around to it.

You could make a seat like this in all of 15 minutes, that includes some detailed sanding!

Scott F said:
I'm no expert, but don't discount the simplicity of the ol' plywood swing in a tree!
It is comfortable as can be and super easy to pack in and out. It also works perfectly for me to carry my LW sticks in with.

I currently use a 3/4" PVC that is 10" long. This is the length that I use because it fits perfectly into a bag that I have on my lineman's belt (DIY style as well).
Truth be told, I would probably appreciate a 12" piece of pipe, but I am willing to sacrifice a little to gain the portability of the shorter one in the bag.

I considered putting a 'T' connector on the pipe to function as the whale's tail fork on a GW but never got around to it.

You could make a seat like this in all of 15 minutes, that includes some detailed sanding!

Yeah, Ill probably try and make one this weekend. I have some 3/4" marine plywood left over from a boat repair. Could end up just being another tool in the chest. Wouldnt that be something though...to have all that money in a GW and NT and a $15 swing seat be the ticket. lol.

I'll trade you one-for-one ;)

The one you get may still have some blood stains on it, but I'll do my best to clean it prior to shipping!

Any more ideas or brain storming on this? That is one thing I really like about the Web but trying to figure something out for the Evolution.

halltrail said:
Scott F said:

Yeah, Ill probably try and make one this weekend. I have some 3/4" marine plywood left over from a boat repair. Could end up just being another tool in the chest. Wouldnt that be something though...to have all that money in a GW and NT and a $15 swing seat be the ticket. lol.
I said the same thing when I found the sit drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an evolution coming this, weekend. I really plan on playing around to see if I can come up with a mod to keep me off the tree. The whale tail is, the best part of the web I use today

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back