• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Some gear ideas?

Ayoung

I get around 300 to spend at work for some “cold weather gear” and I get that money reimbursed. It’s not for whatever as it “has” to be for the job so It has to be clothes pretty much. So I was just curious as to what you all would pick up if you had the money to blow. It would have to be solid colors to begin with then I could exchange for camo after they approve of it unless it’s worn underneath layers then it doesn’t matter. Just looking for some good ideas. I’m more interested in things that can be utilized for hunting. Thanks in advance.

I'd get some high loft goose down layers.....for that amount I'd start with pants (full zip so you can take on and off without removing boots) and a jacket....if anything is left i'd look at a vest

high loft goose down is the warmest thing out there and weighs and packs down to almost nothing

Eddie Bauer has high loft goose down jackets and vests that are solid colors and made well. They are mores suited as midlayers under a shell jacket because they are made of a thinner fabric to save weight/make packable and this fabric is plenty quiet under a layer but not the quietest up top.

Last edited:
I get around 300 to spend at work for some “cold weather gear” and I get that money reimbursed. It’s not for whatever as it “has” to be for the job so It has to be clothes pretty much. So I was just curious as to what you all would pick up if you had the money to blow. It would have to be solid colors to begin with then I could exchange for camo after they approve of it unless it’s worn underneath layers then it doesn’t matter. Just looking for some good ideas. I’m more interested in things that can be utilized for hunting. Thanks in advance.
For the money we have had good luck with Venture heated vests and jackets. On sale now.

Depends what you have/need but if get a good set of merino underlayers and some durable pants like the SG de Havillands, but that's because it fits a niche "need" in my wardrobe. What is your worst layer? Replace that one.

Nice warm socks. Gloves/beanies. Garment-wise, Carharrt stuff comes in plaids as well as solids, and I have a Carharrt plaid coat that I love to hunt in, super warm and comfy, durable. Baselayers, face muffs/scarves, hand muffs, would be high on that list, too.

Electric gear has been all the rage at my camp for the last couple of years. I am sold and have a heated vest on my list for this year. Not a fan of being battery dependant but they are really, really nice under a windproof layer. Cuts down on the bulk of a puffy layer. Scentlok and Milwaukee are what all my buddies have.

All good replies. Keep them coming fellas. This is the problem I’m having, There is just too much stuff to choose from.

quality heated vest/ layers(scentlok, pnuma, etc) and quality heated socks. I know the term game changer is played out but in this case it’s true.

Back