• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Something to dwell upon..

Thats a real eye opener for the rock climbing harness ive been using...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I work in plants every day, and I often spend time thinking about the safest way to climb when using portable hunting equipment. Outside of spurs and SRT, they all carry significant risk of falling 2-4'. You're loosening and moving your anchor point at the moment that carries the highest risk of falling. It's a wonder there aren't more accidents.

Thanks for posting. I have a feeling you’ll get a few folks attention and have them taking their time.

Teathered in at hunting height probably isn't as much of a concern, but some of the hybrid climbing methods could use a refresher look at keeping falls as short as possible.
All saddle hunters should watch this to understand the limits of their equipment. Thanks for posting.

I think this video misleads in regardsto how safe a rock climbing harness is. As someone who has fallen enough times while in a harness, I can say that I have never experienced what is demonstrated here.

It seems to me that the dummy they used did not have the weight realistically distributed in order to represent a real human. It looks like they made it top heavy, so of course the dummy would almost flip over when it was released.

Despite the misleading video, I do beleive that full body harnesses are best for occupation fall arrest where you may fall from any position, such as crawling.

When upright, as we are when we’re tethered up in a tree, it’s hard not to wind up with your feet pointing down if you fall while wearing a climbing harness. I can only assume it is the same with a saddle, since I am still waiting to get mine.

I appreciate the video and the call to think about our setups.

I think this video misleads in regardsto how safe a rock climbing harness is. As someone who has fallen enough times while in a harness, I can say that I have never experienced what is demonstrated here.

It seems to me that the dummy they used did not have the weight realistically distributed in order to represent a real human. It looks like they made it top heavy, so of course the dummy would almost flip over when it was released.

Despite the misleading video, I do beleive that full body harnesses are best for occupation fall arrest where you may fall from any position, such as crawling.

When upright, as we are when we’re tethered up in a tree, it’s hard not to wind up with your feet pointing down if you fall while wearing a climbing harness. I can only assume it is the same with a saddle, since I am still waiting to get mine.

I appreciate the video and the call to think about our setups.
Agreed, the dummy doesn't have muscle an bone structure like we do. I've seen people fall and have fallen in a rock harness, it wasn't that dramatic.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back