• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Southeast MI public land hunting

boone0

Seeing as we have a few SE MI hunters on the site, I thought I would put this thread up for some discussion. Here's some food for thought:

-where are you hunting? Public, private?
-what do you dislike/like about it? More importantpy, how do you adapt?
-given the short drive to other areas, what makes you stay within 1-2 hours driving from detroit?

Just a couple questions to continue the conversation from the other thread. Don't post anything too specific unless you really want.

I feel like saddle hunters are doing things a little different. It would be interesting to find out what motivates people like me, locally!

Re: Southeast MI public land hunting

I'm mostly private land and occasionally in St. Clair County, will haul up to the thumb for rifle opener weekend to spend deer camp with some family, then back to SCC for the rest of the season.

I have 4 private parcels I can hunt currently. I am working on getting access to another very close to me. The private land is OK - nothing stellar, but it's the best I have access to currently. I have hunted the Pt. Huron SGA a couple of times but I would say that the times I did that deer never had a serious threat on their hands. :lol:

Arguably my best hunting property is an 80 acre farm that is split approx 50 timber/30 AG field. There are some great features there but the property only really holds good deer numbers when there is crop in the field. There is isolated apple and white oak trees in the timber, an old watering hole, and thicker-than-hell bedding area that usually holds 1-2 doe families. I have not located any buck beds on this property, but have seen them cruising towards the bedding on occasion. It is a absolutely fantastic place to turkey hunt year round. The game changer for deer hunting on this property is when the property owner (my uncle) has crop in the field. This year, because of mechanical issues with his tractors and family obligations with my cousin, there is no crop in the field so the property is not holding as many deer.. This may change in another week or two as we near towards the rut and the bedding becomes hot. This property is also a very low pressure property for the area. I am usually the only person hunting it. Although there is some random quad activity from my cousins throughout the year. The landowner hunts up north and also goes out of state to Kansas every year to deer hunt. He told me he, "Got sick of shooting 1.5 year old bucks" lol.

Another private parcel is a 10 acre river bottom with excellent doe bedding. However things have changed for the worse in the last 2 years since I started hunting it 3 years ago. The first year I hunted it I saw deer every time I was on stand - from cruising bucks to multiple doe family groups. What changed the hunting here though were two things which I think absolutely destroyed the potential of this property:

1) The property owner cut a path wide enough to drive his 4x4 chevy down to the river, directly through what I had identified as a primary scrape and a staging area adjacent to doe bedding. He literally cut his path directly through an area where I had previously counted 5 fresh scrapes the last week in October. The other wild card here is that the property owner logs dead timber through the fall months from the area, often driving his lawn tractor and running a chainsaw for hours on end mid-day upto prime time.

2) The property directly to the west was bought by a young "brown-its-down" hunter. This hunter does not practice scent control and, by his own admission, hunts "90 out of 91 days of the season".I have talked to this guy on several occasions and it is clear he has no intention of ever doing anything differently. He has shot multiple young bucks - 2 spikes, and a 4 point, from this property.

It has become clear to me from the few time I sat on this property this year that it is completely 'shut down' in every sense of the word. Unfortunate but the reality of hunting in heavy pressure areas.

The next one is the back 3 acres of a small woodlot and is mostly mature red oaks with a chestnut tree. There is bedding located adjacent to this property but deer movement after Oct. 1 is incredibly difficult to pattern. I will get them moving through the woodlot all summer long but they almost immediately go nocturnal and alter their movements after the first week of October. I have found decent buck rubs back here but they are random to say the least. This property has a neighbor less than 500 yards to the N that hunts from a box blind for a few hours in the morning and in the evening every day of the season from Oct. 1 to Jan 1.

The last one is my 4 acres that I purchased back in June of this year with the intention of building a home on. I discovered some wild fruit trees on the property and my trail cam confirmed they were hit hard while dropping fruit. Unfortunately they are very close to the road and less than 100 yards from the neighboring homes. Still to afford myself more hunting opportunity I brushhogged a path to the back of the property, which is adjacent to High-tension power lines, and setup a pop-up blind. I have admittedly began baiting this location and have a 2 nice doe and a fawn on camera coming in with some regularity at pretty much the exact same time of day. The main reason I began baiting was because I wanted to afford my little girl (4 years old) the opportunity to see some deer. We did sit out today but she only lasted 45 minutes but had fun looking through my binos, blowing the grunt tubes like a trumpet (sounded more like a goose), and rattling with the rattling sticks. I would only consider this a 'meat' deer spot and do not seriously expect to see a buck. In the future I am considering brushhogging more of the brush in the back of the property so long as it is no already bedding and installing some fruit and nut bearing mast trees, although first things first I need to get a house built.

What do I like about these properties? Well, first and foremost they are ultra-convenient. I am less than 15 minutes drive from any of these spots. Adapting to hunting them is challenging. Right now I am adapting by trying to not overhunt any of them. My own property I don't necessarily care how often I am hunting it (it isn't very often) but I have saved what I believed to be my best pre-rut stands for the next few weeks on the 80 acre farm. I will probably only hunt the other locations for a change of scenery.

The biggest challenge for me this year is not adapting to hunting situations but the addition of a 2nd child, along with acquiring land and going through the process of building a home. I also work full-time (M-F, 9-5ish) although my job affords me great benefits like true flex time and generous time off. My wife's schedule of working afternoons and alternating weekends (damn you, Healthcare) is also another big challenge to getting on stand.

I would like to get up and seriously scout some public land near me just for the simple fact that I Would like more hunting opportunity. I also feel that the private parcels I hunt are not seriously attractive parcels for deer, let alone big bucks. However from how little I was able to scout last spring it will certainly be a challenge for the next few years to get out and scout more land.

I guess the reason I began saddle hunting is my 1 and only season with a climber was a nightmare. It was so unbelievably heavy it was almost comical (and I am a rather stout fellow). It became quickly apparent that unless I had the lightest climber on the market I wasn't going to be seriously hunting with it. I had already been considering a saddle since the season prior but wasn't as serious as i've gotten about my hunting since then. It seemed like a saddle was the next logical step up in wanting to be more mobile and have a tactical advantage over other hunters and my quarry. I think you almost need to in states like MI.

Anyway... that was much longer than I anticipated. Would love to hear from you guys too.

Regards,
d_rek

D_Rek - sounds like to got a pretty good situation right now. I am pretty much 90% public land and have hunted in Manistee county for most of my hunting career. On rare occasion I hunt in Jackson on private when invited by relative. I have tried public in the Thumb a couple times but too congested for my liking. I actually really like getting away and hunting "up north" as we Michiganders call it. I would like to find something within 45 minutes of where I live to be able to get out more but so do the other 1,000 hunters. It is harder to get away now that I have more family obligations and that would give me more days in the field. I would say in the past 5 years I average less than 10 sits per year. It might be time to buy some land if I can convince the wife.

Yes I consider myself very lucky and incredibly grateful to have private land so conveniently located. However 2 of the 4 parcels are at risk of evaporating in the relative near term, as the 10 acre river bottom will likely be sold in the next 3-5 years. The 3 acre woodlot is contingent on my grandmas health staying good enough for her to stay out of a nursing home but it has been very iffy the last few years. My aunts already discussed selling the house to pay for nursing home expenses.

The 80 acre farm is relatively secure although I do not not what my Uncles situation will be in 5, 10, or 15 years. So I am always on the lookout for more access. Really though I think it just makes sense to seek opportunities at deer where you can find them - public or private land. I can't sit around expecting the properties I hunt to hold more deer or even produce bigger bucks if they don't have the right ingredients to do so. I fully expect to have to work a little harder than the next guy to get a crack at more deer.

The public land in the thumb is an absolute nightmare. I have not hunted it during bow but have walked it several times with my cousins and you will literally encounter a pop-up blind or a hang-on every 40-60 yards. I have not hunted Manistee county at all. The further north I have hunted was Ogemaw county on private land that was adjacent to Huron National Forest. My In-laws own 70 acres of big timber land. It is really nice land but not much there to hold deer.

I feel you 100% on having children and working a lot. I have a 4 yr old daughter and an 18 mo. old son. I also work full time, freelance on the side, and try to make time for family events and functions. It's a challenge to say the least and has certainly hampered my hunting and ice fishing careers :D

Wish I had family with some farmland, but none that I know of!

Anyone hunted HAP areas? I have heard there are a couple that are good in the area but I have never tried.

Hunting public with a climber is also why I got into saddle hunting. Started looking at better options and found the aero hunter...definitely better!

I hear you guys on family... I haven't even been out yet this season! It's been so tough this year. Every time a cold front comes through I'm dying, stuck at work!

I am hunting the port Huron SGA, so unless I get out during the rut, I am going to have to work a little harder in December. I have a decent idea, some spots I think deer will go when pressured.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

boone0 said:
Wish I had family with some farmland, but none that I know of!

Anyone hunted HAP areas? I have heard there are a couple that are good in the area but I have never tried.

Hunting public with a climber is also why I got into saddle hunting. Started looking at better options and found the aero hunter...definitely better!

I hear you guys on family... I haven't even been out yet this season! It's been so tough this year. Every time a cold front comes through I'm dying, stuck at work!

I am hunting the port Huron SGA, so unless I get out during the rut, I am going to have to work a little harder in December. I have a decent idea, some spots I think deer will go when pressured.

There was a very nice HAP property 5 minutes from me but it looks like this year they are no longer participating in the program. I never hunted it but my FIL bird hunted it with a friend a couple of times a season. I would rarely see anyone there hunting it when I would drive by.

There is another HAP property about 10 minutes from me in St. Clair County (The only one listed on this years summary booklet). I think it is mostly open fields as I have driven by it. It is adjacent to public hunting land. I am not sure how pressured or not either of these lands get, but it is not a large amount of land in any case.

Another place I forgot to mention is St. Johns Marsh down near Algonac. I few years ago the state record buck taken with a handgun was killed off of public land there. The only caveat is there is not much timber most of it is cat-tail marsh/bog. You would also be competing with duck hunters here. My wife's cousins hunt property adjacent to SJM and they always shoot a doe or two and nice 2.5 yr old buck off their property each year.

As far as hunting the Pt Huron SGA in December that is going to be an extremely rough proposition. If you could get out over the next two weeks I think your odds of success would be much improved. I went there after rifle season in early / mid December and while I did find some good sign I never saw deer move during daylight.

Yeah I agree... But I am working nights at a new job, so you don't see very much daytime movement out of me either!!

I passed up the Marsh, thought there wasn't deer hunting there for some reason. I'll have to check it out.

Well looks like I might be up at the PH SGA this week. My properties just aren't producing and I found out the landowner at the 80acre farm will not be putting any crop on this year. I do have a spot I could revisit where I found some isolated apple trees and some inactive scrapes in the late season. Can't be any worse than my properties are right now. Though with the temps in the 60s all week it's going to be a long sweaty hike lol

-Sent from d_mobile

I hunt a friend's 10 acre farm in between Chelsea and Dexter, it's about 6 acres field with hoop house and crop, and 4 acres with hardwoods and a couple nice mast trees in the timber. It butts up against the Baker Woods Preserve. The neighbor has a box blind up, and a feeder, which brings deer in, and I think they only hunt during gun season as I have yet to see them. Got some nice young 6-8pts on the trail cam, and a ton of does!

I have access to another 10 acre spot with a large pond north of ypsilanti. Haven't hunted it yet, and there are other people that hunt there.

The other place I hunt is up near Onaway in Presque Isle county, where a friend has 117 acres of primarily cedar swamp devoted purely to hunting. It's not developed much, but it definitely holds deer. I spend all of last week up there hunting, and saw some nice does, but thought the deer were acting mighty weird. They weren't busting me, but they were super skittish. The day before I left I found out from the neighbor that some idiot kids have been shining high powered lights into the brush on her property, right next to the fence line of where I was hunting, shooting any buck they saw, and just cutting off the heads and selling the antlers. I thought it was really peculiar that I was hearing what sounded like really high powered rifle, or possibly muzzle loader shots right on several of the mornings at 5-6am when I was quietly in stand... Guess that solves that mystery!

Back