• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Speed with/without quiver

Jagger0502

SH Member
I played around with a chrono today checking my arrow speed with and without my quiver on using two different arrow setups. I took around 10 shots with and 10 shots without my quiver on for each arrow setup.

quiver: Stick Quiver slide on
Bow - Stalker Coyote 60” - 60lbs at 28” - I draw about 27.5

Average speed setup A - with quiver 168 fps vs without 169.5 fps
Average Speed setup B - with quiver 170.4 vs 173.6 without

average speed lost 2.36 with a quiver

however….

I did find my speed with the quiver was less erratic. My high and low with a quiver was only a difference on setup A without the quiver of 5 fps vs with of 3 fps and setup B without the quiver 3 fps vs with 2 fps

average 1.5 better with a quiver on

I chalk this up to a heavier and more stable bow during my draw. I feel it’s a little easier and more consistent to draw with the extra weight but I have also been shooting with the quiver on all year so it did feel more natural and if it was the other way around maybe it would have been closer averages the other way around.

as far as arrow drop and accuracy, I was shooting at 20 yards and saw no difference. Looking at only about a 1% difference in speed… I wouldn’t have expected much.

I played around with a chrono today checking my arrow speed with and without my quiver on using two different arrow setups. I took around 10 shots with and 10 shots without my quiver on for each arrow setup.

quiver: Stick Quiver slide on
Bow - Stalker Coyote 60” - 60lbs at 28” - I draw about 27.5

Average speed setup A - with quiver 168 fps vs without 169.5 fps
Average Speed setup B - with quiver 170.4 vs 173.6 without

average speed lost 2.36 with a quiver

however….

I did find my speed with the quiver was less erratic. My high and low with a quiver was only a difference on setup A without the quiver of 5 fps vs with of 3 fps and setup B without the quiver 3 fps vs with 2 fps

average 1.5 better with a quiver on

I chalk this up to a heavier and more stable bow during my draw. I feel it’s a little easier and more consistent to draw with the extra weight but I have also been shooting with the quiver on all year so it did feel more natural and if it was the other way around maybe it would have been closer averages the other way around.

as far as arrow drop and accuracy, I was shooting at 20 yards and saw no difference. Looking at only about a 1% difference in speed… I wouldn’t have expected much.
I would say your draw, release and form itself could vary more than 1% from shot to shot so with that in mind I would agree it is negligible. I like the quiver on to help dampen the vibration after the shot, noise, and the little extra weight helps with stability on the light bows I shoot. Having a crono to play around with would be bad news for me. I have enough to tinker with as it is.

This is probably a dumb question to ask you but did you verify the quiver was positioned so as to be above any working portion of the limb? I had an issue once because I had carelessly set the bottom gripper portion of the quiver right at the fade out. I dont know what difference it made speed wise but it definitely impacted tune and noise. I am assuming it had at least a minor impact on speed as well.

What you're seeing with/without your quiver is bow harmonics. Your bow is showing you that it's more stable/consistent shot to shot, due to the harmonics of the bow with a quiver. :) Which is a good thing.

It is somewhat of a personal choice to shoot a bow with or without a quiver. I have always shot a bow of any kind with the quiver on it. I will not remove it for hunting, because that's when I need it the most. I want the "ammo" close by, after a shot and do not want to take my eyes off of the animal to reach for another arrow.

Thanks for taking the time to do this @Jagger0502 I've wondered and it seems like the difference is pretty negligible.

I know this wasnt meant to be a quiver on/off debate but here's a few things to consider:
When I'm ground hunting, I'm usually sitting in decent cover. If you need to move for a shot, the extra arrows in the quiver can and will eventually hang up, fall off and make noise unless you're really paying attention to your quiver.
I've had to think and be cognizant about the arrows in the quiver hanging up on the bridge in the saddle too.
There's been times I haven't noticed a loose arrow in the quiver and had them rattle or fall out after a shot.
If you take off your quiver when hunting and put it in the same spot every time, it becomes second nature reaching for an arrow for a second shot if needed.
Alternatively, I've dropped my quiver while in a tree which makes it a pain. I've also forgot to grab my quiver from the pickup when heading out to hunt.

This is probably a dumb question to ask you but did you verify the quiver was positioned so as to be above any working portion of the limb? I had an issue once because I had carelessly set the bottom gripper portion of the quiver right at the fade out. I dont know what difference it made speed wise but it definitely impacted tune and noise. I am assuming it had at least a minor impact on speed as well.
It was slid all the way up against the riser, not on any working part of the limb.

I guess there really wasn’t a goal in mind when doing this, just curious. I have a 3d shoot next weekend and I just wanted to know if it would be the same to walk the course with out the quiver on the bow and carry my arrows in my back quiver for a little more comfort. And I do think the results are that it’s such a small difference that doesn’t affect my shot that for me and my bow it really doesn’t matter if it’s on or off.

Back