• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Speedy Stitcher thread options

Islandshooter

SH Member
Guys,
What do you use instead of the waxed thread that comes with the speedy stitcher? Just adding some straps to my pack. Thanks

I've been using this quite a bit lately to take care of my small scale sewing projects. I've used regular high strength thread but for me it's a lot harder to control than the waxed larger thread that comes with it so I went back to that.

They have 2 different size waxed thread for them. For bigger, more robust stitching, I use the bigger. But for simple stuff, such attaching pouches and modifications that won’t see much weight, I’ll use the smaller stuff. At one time I had 2 of the bobbins that go inside the speedy stitcher loaded with different size thread so I could jut swap out as needed instead of having to change thread on the bobbin, but I’ve lost one bobbin and broke the needle for the other size so I haven’t used it lately. I did see in harbor freight one day that they sell a knock off version of the speedy stitcher for a good bit cheaper.

I’ve used upholstery thread with good results. You can use any type of thread. Most sewing machine needles will work in the speedy stitcher. I use a denim needle more than anything. If you use the big needle with smaller thread the material doesn’t grip the thread well to make your loop to pass your lock stitch through.

Yeah. I've hand sewed a few things with B-52 strands. Its fixed for life.
Is that what they make airplanes out of? :) It must be some kind of bowstring designation.
I bought some Spiderwire 65lb fishing line to use for sewing in the Speedy sticher when I think I need more strength.

Is that what they make airplanes out of? :) It must be some kind of bowstring designation.
I bought some Spiderwire 65lb fishing line to use for sewing in the Speedy sticher when I think I need more strength.
Oops, had a senior moment...meant to type B-50.

Dynaflight 97 has an individual breaking strength of something like 125lbs.
It also makes great low-string-count longbow string when you aren't using it for sewing...!

Bought some HD machine needles today and they worked with 65lb test spider wire, but they do not like much side pressure and I broke one halfway through my project. It almost took longer to get the line in the needle as it did to sew, but the smaller needles work way better than the big one the Speedy Sticher came with.

Bought some HD machine needles today and they worked with 65lb test spider wire, but they do not like much side pressure and I broke one halfway through my project. It almost took longer to get the line in the needle as it did to sew, but the smaller needles work way better than the big one the Speedy Sticher came with.
Have you tried to sew any straps with this yet. I have only sewn non life support equipment (my butt support fabric on my RCH). How many 65lb stitches to get to 22kN, the climbing standard? I have to get some smaller needles.

I have not sewn anything load bearing with mine, I simply don't trust my abilities for that. I have a local upholstery shop that has the machine and experience that is very cheap, so anything critical I take to them.

Will the speedy stitcher handle 415 tex? I got thousands of feet of it... in throw away bobbins too. If anyone needs any let me know or if u want to try it out. Its bonded nylon. Thinking of buying a speedy anyways.

I don't use a speedy stictcher, just needle and thread, but I do most of my sewing with braided fishing line. All my sewing is non-life support. I have it laying around, it's strong, it knots well.

Back