• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Speedy stitcher thread

UMICH1

I was going to sew my leftover strap on my Anderson to make a bridge for it like John Eberhart did. I was going to bring it to a local upholstery shop. I have a speedy stitcher but not sure if I trust myself lol. Is the polyester thread that's included with it strong enough? Thanks

I believe polyester is the same thing the straps are made of. It’s pretty strong and it’s made for stitching leather, sails and climbing equipment.

Have you seen one of the videos on using the speedy stitcher?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe polyester is the same thing the straps are made of. It’s pretty strong and it’s made for stitching leather, sails and climbing equipment.

Have you seen one of the videos on using the speedy stitcher?

Yes I have. I may attempt it. Not sure how many times to do it. Looks like John E has a square and X in the middle. Someone else had one on here with 3 of those.

Yes I have. I may attempt it. Not sure how many times to do it. Looks like John E has a square and X in the middle. Someone else had one on here with 3 of those.

The rectangle with the X through is pretty standard.

I haven’t found the strength of the thread but I assume it is better than 50lbs per stitch.

So regardless of the pattern you use, make sure to hve enough stitches.

For 2000lbs it would be 40 stitches at 50lbs per stitch.

I think @redsquirrel found that it's 50lb per stitch with the awl and standard thread.

Yup, I read it somewhere here. I’ve seen websites claim higher than that but nothing from Speedy stitcher themselves or Strapworks. So for now, I’ll use 50# as that’s the lowest I’ve heard. I’ll keep my eye out for more info.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Anyone know the rating of regular thread and a sewing machine? My kid got one as a birthday gift and I may put it into action. Definately a lot more stitches than I can get with a speedy stitcher.

Whoever decided to name this thing a "Speedy" Stitcher is full of crap. Speedy my ass:grinning:
I just got one...man, do I ever need some practice with it.

I got faster after the holes in my fingers healed. lol Seriously, be careful pushing that through while supporting the fabric, that needle loves blood. :oops:

Right or wrong, I make my own bow strings, so I use dynema for my thread. Is it stronger than the original stuff....I would hope so.

I got faster after the holes in my fingers healed. lol Seriously, be careful pushing that through while supporting the fabric, that needle loves blood. :oops:

Right or wrong, I make my own bow strings, so I use dynema for my thread. Is it stronger than the original stuff....I would hope so.
B-50 string material makes great thread, too. Sew a button on with that stuff and it'll be there forever.
That was an old tip from Paul Brunner...Screaming Eagle owner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I hand sewed my molle webbing on my sit drag with a carpet needle, you wanna talk about FUN

I had to "Like" even though I can relate. I managed to pull a length of that rope they use for thread through the ring finger of my left hand lock stitching a rope splice once. I thought my wife was gonna pass out when I said, "Hey look what I just did" and showed her. She hates needles, didn't appreciate the humor in it . . . ;).

Back