• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Speedy Stitcher

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Nov 27, 2014
Trying to stitch the webbing on a TL saddle. Wondering if this product will go through 2 layers on the webbing on a my saddle. Anyone tried?

clint6760

Oct 3, 2015
I bet it will go through it. The needle is really sharp. Be careful if you use the curved needle that comes with it. I got close to going through my hand a couple of times.

boone0

Sep 28, 2014
I was thinking about getting the $5 one from Harbor Freight
If you do, you might need to sharpen the needles. Not super sharp. Also, the metal piece that holds the bobbin is what your palm pushes against. Mine had burrs but I didn't notice u til my palm was torn up. Sand it smooth before using! On that note, where thread passes through wood, the wood isn't sanded, so the rough wood catches thread.

I don't have a speedy stitcher but after fixing the Chinese crap I would have spent the $15 extra if I could go back.

Reactions: justsomedude

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
I've used the speedy stitcher on all my slings, well at least until it breaks. Then I just buy larger needles and do it by hand. The speedy works great until you get several layers of webbing (on my red neck -essdub- sling there is a web belt and the loops are four layers thick with each layer sewn together and through the belt) it took forever to do by hand but the result is that I don't worry about the stitches at all even if it isn't pretty

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
I actually have a sewing machine but wanted the speedy stitcher for tacking things on at odd angles I can't reach well with the machine.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Trying to stitch the webbing on a TL saddle. Wondering if this product will go through 2 layers on the webbing on a my saddle. Anyone tried?
I'm sure it will. Just be careful like Kenn said, I've put the needle into my finger a few times lol.

Reactions: Riverrat

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
Just something to think about if you have the diamond point you might want to dull the edges of the diamond. I had some issues with the diamond tip slicing fibers when theres alot of compression on the material. Namely when doing a sewn eye on rope so I just did a little sanding to get ride of the blade like features.

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
Just something to think about if you have the diamond point you might want to dull the edges of the diamond. I had some issues with the diamond tip slicing fibers when theres alot of compression on the material. Namely when doing a sewn eye on rope so I just did a little sanding to get ride of the blade like features.

I was wondering about this. I went down a SS rabbit hole last night. Wondering if this is an issue for webbing?

Also wondering what the tensile strength of the thread is. Can't seem to find that information anywhere. Seen claims of as high as 52# and low as 32#.

After sewing my knaider, I am wondering if the finer needle and thread would be more appropriate for tubular webbing.

Swampfox

Oct 31, 2016
Bottom of the boot
d7e2bec816a7a7ec7312917aa383ddaa.jpg
I found the same issue so I purchased a pack of long needles where this is a concern. I have found these needles to work well....Just another option if you don’t want to reshape your speedy stitch needle.

Reactions: pesqimon

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
Do you use these with the speedy stitcher? Do these have an eye at the tip or do you just use them upside down?

csp13

Jun 18, 2018
Western NY
What type of thread are you guys using when stitching? Thinking about throwing together a Knaider - Swaider combo this weekend.

wmahunterfl

Jan 8, 2018
watch those fingers, I use a thimble when using it. stuck myself a few times so I started using it.

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
I used the standard needle and coarse thread. Seems like it will hold fine, but my hunch is that this would be better done with the finer needle and thread. That was on tubular webbing. The flat nylon webbing weave seems to take the coarse needle fine.