• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spliceable 8mm Bridge

swamp_possum

I’ve tried the search feature and haven’t found exactly what I was looking for. This is my second year in the saddle but kept everything stock so this will be my first year fine tuning my saddle.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a spliceable 8mm or 9mm rope that would be suitable for a bridge? I know amsteel is an option and I’m still considering it but I like to rest my head on my bridge from time to time and like a little more rope there.

I’ve been looking for some 8mm for a Prusik rope that I can splice as well. Here is what is splicable from Wespur. I believe these are the heat resistant ones. (This is what they tell me). I think there are some others from different sites as well, but the lbs might be lower. I was looking for something with a good rating, but that would go with predictor rope and be splicable to eliminate bulky knots.

BEE LINE 8mm # CLI304 (cord tensil strength = 8,000 lb)
HRC 8mm # CLI305 (cord tensil strength = 7,250 lb)
ICE TAIL 8mm # CLI302 (cord tensil strength = 8,500)

Samson has a poly one as well that is rated for 5k lbs as well.
https://www.samsonrope.com/arborist/prusik-cord

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a spliceable 8mm or 9mm rope that would be suitable for a bridge? I know amsteel is an option and I’m still considering it but I like to rest my head on my bridge from time to time and like a little more rope there.
5/16 amsteel is almost exactly 8mm in diameter. 3/8 is almost exactly 9mm...if you like amsteel except for the size...just size up.

I will look into these, thanks for the recommendations. Have you had any experience with any of these in particular?

Not yet. The bee line looks like you splice the core with a locked Brummel setup, the core is a 12 braid I believe. Haven’t seen enough on the other two. The ocean poly is a double braid, some places i believe have said not to splice it, but on some climbing forums, guys are doing it with good success. Standard class 1 eye splice with a lock stitch. Looks reel good from what I have seen. The Samson poly look easy to do as well. I am planning on the ocean poly once Predator rope is back in stock at wesspur mid June.

Back