• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spooked Buck in Big Woods

Joe_Bow

I hunt big woods in NY and have spent quite a bit of time in there as of late. I was ground hunting last night and a very nice 8pt buck walked into me. The wind shifted before a shot was available and he busted me. He turned and trotted up an old logging road, paused and looked around for 20secs, trotted off a little more. He then blew really loud about 6 times and trotted off up the mountain.

The area I was hunting had 6 large scrapes (3 feet long by 2 feet wide) along a 100yrd game trail.
How long do you think I'll have to wait before I go back in to hunt him? I assume any time this guy comes by again he will be very cautious.
With 6 scrapes in such a small section, I am assuming there are way more bucks than this guy, correct?

Thanks for any advice or experience you have

What big woods are you hunting? Adirondacks? I would try to set up away from where he smelled you,on his entrance or exit route to the area. I dont think he will not come back at all but he will be on high alert and try to scent check the area to make sure it is clear.

I'm in the Catskills.
You guys have pretty low deer density down there too,right? I don't know how far bucks travel down there but i imagine it is a good ways. If he is there now and the sign is hot i would try to go after him now,just from a different tree in a slightly different location. He may well move a long way if another group of does comes into heat on the other side of the mountain. I hunt in 4F and there are just so many more deer per square mile that any scrape will be frequented by more than one buck. Not so sure how that is in your area.
Good luck!

It is my understanding that 3A has low density in the mountains. I’ve just been hiking a ton and found sign - seems to be how it is done.

I will go back in tomorrow, late AM and wait until dark. Might bring a lure and set up in a different spot.

I figured 6 scrapes was just too much to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that 3A has low density in the mountains. I’ve just been hiking a ton and found sign - seems to be how it is done.

I will go back in tomorrow, late AM and wait until dark. Might bring a lure and set up in a different spot.

I figured 6 scrapes was just too much to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And instead of it being several different bucks it might just be his core area if there is bedding nearby! I know bucks where I hunt will have several scrapes and rubs in their core area sometimes!

Back