• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spotting scopes

Goldentriangle85

I’m curious how many guys are using spotting scopes? Trying to up my observation game. If your experienced with spotting scopes what are using? Or can I get by with my 10x diamondback binos? Worth the investment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is for me. Use a Meopta Meostar S2 to watch bean fields during the summer. I have the phoneskope adapter to enable filming and photos via my phone. I can ID bucks from a mile away at times.

Great way to take summer inventory and it's fun to drink a cold beer and watch some velvet bucks on a hot summer evening!

Here is a buck I watched last summer and eventually arrowed in November.
6b4118149103ec2803a294d643ec84e4.jpg
cd64b97fe87da97dc963e5b345dff13a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Spotters are cool, I think I like my binos on a tripod even more tho. It obviously depends on how far you are glassing as well.

So I was hanging out in a tree the other day and hung my spotting scope from my bridge with a nite eyz in anticipation of some recon sits this fall. Anybody got a better way to do this?

If I was hunting out Wes where I may spot an animal way off and decide whether it is worth trying to pursue I would use a good one. I have a little compact meopta 10-30x I use occasionally around here by fields and at the rifle range but usually around here I can tell enough about a deer from as far as I can usually see in Georgia that a 10 power bino is enough. I just need to know it’s big. I haven’t killed so many that I need to try to score the buck using his eye diameter as a gauge.

Spotters are cool, I think I like my binos on a tripod even more tho. It obviously depends on how far you are glassing as well.

True. I’m intrigued with the idea of hanging a spotter on the truck window with a mount and glassing bean fields and such in the summer. Been thinking about it a few years now just hard to pull the trigger on the scope. Hoping you guys would talk me into it. Haha

It is for me. Use a Meopta Meostar S2 to watch bean fields during the summer. I have the phoneskope adapter to enable filming and photos via my phone. I can ID bucks from a mile away at times.

Great way to take summer inventory and it's fun to drink a cold beer and watch some velvet bucks on a hot summer evening!

Here is a buck I watched last summer and eventually arrowed in November.
6b4118149103ec2803a294d643ec84e4.jpg
cd64b97fe87da97dc963e5b345dff13a.jpg

That’s cool right there. This is what I had in mind. I’ll check out the meoptas.

True. I’m intrigued with the idea of hanging a spotter on the truck window with a mount and glassing bean fields and such in the summer. Been thinking about it a few years now just hard to pull the trigger on the scope. Hoping you guys would talk me into it. Haha

I'm in the same boat, been wanting one for a while but I don't think I'll use one enough to justify the purchase so I'm just gonna wait on a steal of a deal. I've read a few threads on rokslide about suggestions for spotters and a lot of guys recommend putting binos on a tripod instead of carrying both.

Anyone use the smaller spotters? I can't use binos the right way because of an incident 2 years ago that took my vision for about 3 weeks and another 2 months before I could see color. It messes with my head to use both eyes but one eye doesn't bother me at all. I needed a new pair before the incident anyway thought why buy 2 if can only use 1 eye!

Anyone use the smaller spotters? I can't use binos the right way because of an incident 2 years ago that took my vision for about 3 weeks and another 2 months before I could see color. It messes with my head to use both eyes but one eye doesn't bother me at all. I needed a new pair before the incident anyway thought why buy 2 if can only use 1 eye!
I said meopta in my other post but it’s actually a minox 16-30 power. You wouldn’t want to try to hold it. It needs to be on a tripod.
Vortex and several companies make a monocular that should work good for you. It’s always felt funny to me using a monocular but if you can only use one eye it should cut the weight in half.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60, they are not for me. I cannot find anything in them.
I am going to invest in a bigger set of bino's. 18x55's or something like that.
Make me an offer.

I spot with my binos and study with my spotter. The phone adapter is key to enable filming and photos. It has almost completely replaced my use of trail cams for properties where I can use it. Very low impact scouting approach. Of course some bucks are completely nocturnal so you'll miss those, but I've found that probably 80 to 90 percent of the time the older bucks will eventually show themselves if you watch the fields consistently.

I have Diamondback binos, but considering the Viper Spotting Scope.

For longer distances ...like 400-600 yards (for me) and low light (dusk), I'm convinced the better glass may make enough of a difference to consider the upgrade.

While I've convinced myself the difference is significant Viper v Diamondback ...I do not think it is Razor v Viper ...for budget conscious guys like me who are NOT hunting out west. Just my $.02 and based on my personal research.

Back