• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spray paint smell

ketch22

SH Member
Just curious as to How long everyone would wait after spray painting a stand, sticks, platform, or whatever before putting it on the woods?

Is let’s say letting the paint dry and leaving it outside for 2 weeks enough?

I also hunt the wind so would That change any one’s mind?

I’ve killed deer from spray painted stands that were still wet and got paint on my boots.

It will have almost nothing to do with your success. And even if it did there’s no way anyone here could quantify in any way.

Paint your chit and go hunt brotha!

My advice would be to not paint what u can wrap in vet wrap/stealth strip/something comparable.....all the stuff I have painted the paint only lasts a season or 2 and u gotta recoat it if are anal about that kinda stuff.....stealth strip lasts a long time and vet wrap easier to unwrap and rewrap vs recoating paint and much much cheaper...imo

Unless you have found a way to totally eliminate your human odor, if the Deer is smelling your paint, the deer is smelling you. If you agree with that, does it really matter? I mean which one is the deer most likely to alert on? Prolly human scent and he is getting, that paint or no paint. I think your main concern should be not letting him smell either one.

Last edited:
Unless you have found a way to totally eliminate your human odor, if the Deer is smelling your paint, the deer is smelling you. If you agree with that, does it really matter? I mean which one is the deer most likely to alert on? Prolly human scent and he is getting, that paint or no paint. I think your main concern should be not letting him smell either one.

that’s always my goal,I’ve got several trees I hunt out of depending on wind conditions and direction. I’m pretty liberal with the milkweed.

i don’t buy into scentlock, I have some, I’ve used some, let out a fart and I can smell it…..sure as hell know the deer can.

I’ve painted them with spray paint and hunted them the same day. That said, my property butts up again some almost urban areas. I think the deer get used to just about any smell a human can produce. The only thing that I’ve ever seen deer lose their mind over was tinks 69. They hated that stuff.

Back