• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spray painting a saddle

BenHuntin

I’ve been working on customizing my TL Ambush saddle. One of the changes I’ve wanted to make is to give it some camo instead of the solid green mesh. I’ve considered sewing on some predator jersey cotton fabric. But what I’m leaning toward is a light application of different colored spray paints to break up the solid blob of color.
Has anyone out there ever tried this method? Thoughts?

There's lots of carpet and fabric paint you can buy from the craft store. It doesn't have to look professional, just break up the outline a bit. Can't hurt anything other than resell value.

I think you're over thinking it, but if you're just looking to break it up a little a sharpie marker would be fast, cheap, and easy.

Bonus points if you let the kiddos do it!

You’re probably right that I’m overthinking it. But I had my boy take a pic of me in the saddle and the saddle was nothing but a large blob. Thinking of spraying tan/gray/white to lighten it up.

Spray paint shouldn’t affect safety of the fabric right? I know that’s probably a stretch but just thinking...

What about dying it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about dying it?

Good idea, camo tyedye. LOL it’s probably more important to you than the deer, but that’s the great thing about Saddle Hunters. We are not “ in the box”

I’ve been working on customizing my TL Ambush saddle. One of the changes I’ve wanted to make is to give it some camo instead of the solid green mesh. I’ve considered sewing on some predator jersey cotton fabric. But what I’m leaning toward is a light application of different colored spray paints to break up the solid blob of color.
Has anyone out there ever tried this method? Thoughts?
As mentioned their are fabric paints. There are also fabric markers which I think would be perfect for this. You could draw a few predator style outlines on their to break up that blob.

Please don't paint your fabric, plastic, or rubber gear without confirming the paint is safe for it. Some paints can weaken ropes and fabrics. Some paints and adhesives can make plastics brittle or cause rubber to dryrot at an accelerated rate.

As mentioned their are fabric paints. There are also fabric markers which I think would be perfect for this. You could draw a few predator style outlines on their to break up that blob.

That’s probably a safer idea than spray paint - good call. I just don’t want to do anything that will damage the fabric or cause it to degrade faster than it should. I really like the idea of sewing a thin layer of camo fabric onto it too. I’ll post my decision with pics :)

How avout going to Hobby Lobby and picking up some artificial foilage and sew or glue them all over. It'll break it up for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How avout going to Hobby Lobby and picking up some artificial foilage and sew or glue them all over. It'll break it up for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good idea! But I get made fun of enough already for wearing a camo hunting diaper. Having leaves all over my butt just seems to be begging for more abuse hahaha

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with the camo hunting diaper.

I have an ASAT fleece jacket that had too much white in it for me. I used a permanent black marker on the white and it made it a dull grey. Just washed it for the first time last week and it stayed on. Not sure what repeated washings will do.

So here is the final project after much deliberating. The wife was gracious enough to spend an hour or so getting the fabric trimmed and sewn on. Looks amazing and doesn’t affect functionality or resale value. If anything it probably helped lol. 6D152039-5C59-4B14-AC6E-B6324AD852BB.png

Back