• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spring Squirrel Season

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
Man I keep hearing how great they taste, I need to give this a go!

Just checked, spring season in VA starts June 2nd. What do I need? .22LR?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!

.22lr will be fine. I like round nose, 40 grain bullets moving subsonic. More accuracy out of all my guns and less damage to meat. I don't shoot copper washed ammo. Makes the gun easier to clean.

That, or a 20 gauge with high brass #5 shot and a full choke.

Reactions: deleted_user01

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
Getting closer to time!
82a7ac03f19efdf19c5f1ff15d6bf919.jpeg

BTW not my photo I did t have one handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2014
Murfreesboro, TN
I usually use a shotgun. #6 loads put a wallop on them.
.22lr will be fine. I like round nose, 40 grain bullets moving subsonic. More accuracy out of all my guns and less damage to meat. I don't shoot copper washed ammo. Makes the gun easier to clean.

That, or a 20 gauge with high brass #5 shot and a full choke.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: donnieballgame

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
I usually use a shotgun. #6 loads put a wallop on them.

I'm a shotgun man myself. I've shot a lot of squacks with #6, but find that 5s put fewer pellets in the meat and do a bit better on long shots. I also have more pellets pass all the way through, meaning fewer to pick out. Nothing wrong with 6s though for sure.

Nov 5, 2014
Murfreesboro, TN
When you get some, dredge them in buttermilk, batter with flour and cracked pepper, then pan fry until golden brown in the cooking oil of your choice (I have best taste with olive oil, coconut oil, and peanut oil). Amazing country eating. If you get an older/bigger squirrel I recommend you brine them for 12-24 hours to tenderize the meat beforehand. Happy hunting!

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
When you get some, dredge them in buttermilk, batter with flour and cracked pepper, then pan fry until golden brown in the cooking oil of your choice (I have best taste with olive oil, coconut oil, and peanut oil). Amazing country eating. If you get an older/bigger squirrel I recommend you brine them for 12-24 hours to tenderize the meat beforehand. Happy hunting!

I like to pressure cook the meat off the bones then throw them in the frying pan for some tacos!!!

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
I was talking with a buddy from work and he recommended a .22 mag for squirrels, I know it's probably too much but if I just head shot I won't ruin the meat, and I can use it for other stuff, right?

Hit me with your thoughts........ please?

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
I was talking with a buddy from work and he recommended a .22 mag for squirrels, I know it's probably too much but if I just head shot I won't ruin the meat, and I can use it for other stuff, right?

22 LR is a perfect squirrel rifle because of the price of ammo.
22 mag is a great multi purpose squirrel gun I would recommend head shots only if you want to eat any of it.
17hmr head shots only
17wsm head shots only.

It depends on the “other stuff” you planning on shooting with it?

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
22 LR is a perfect squirrel rifle because of the price of ammo.
22 mag is a great multi purpose squirrel gun I would recommend head shots only if you want to eat any of it.
17hmr head shots only
17wsm head shots only.

It depends on the “other stuff” you planning on shooting with it?

By other stuff, I mean I have no idea just like having a gun that can do more than just shoot squirrels.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017

Meh.

I had a Savage .22 mag. Sold it. You're pushing the same size and shape bullet a little faster. Not really powerful enough for anything bigger than a small coyote maybe, and not very accurate. Those little .22 pills get less stable the faster you push them, in my experience.

Ammo is also a pain to find, and expensive. Also, it's louder.

Just my thoughts on it. Like I said, I bought one. Thought I'd use it for piggies. Didn't work to swell. Sold it and moved on to the next thing.