• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spurs of the Moment

Schwonkhead

I hunt private land and can do pretty much whatever I want as far as drilling holes in trees, pounding in spikes, screw in steps, and all that, but I've been reading a lot about spurs and it has got me really considering them. It looks like a decent set costs north of $200, and then there's the Ebay/Amazon special that comes in around $50. My guess is that I really don't want the $50 spurs, so I wanted to ask all of you that use them, what is the most cost effective way to get into a pair of spurs, because I don't think $200+ is in the cards this year either.

I got mine on the classifieds here and they were all modded up with straps and stealth strips. I think I paid just south of $200 for them. Keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds. I think a lot of guys buy them and turn around and sell them before they give them a fair shot.

I hunt private land and can do pretty much whatever I want as far as drilling holes in trees, pounding in spikes, screw in steps, and all that, but I've been reading a lot about spurs and it has got me really considering them. It looks like a decent set costs north of $200, and then there's the Ebay/Amazon special that comes in around $50. My guess is that I really don't want the $50 spurs, so I wanted to ask all of you that use them, what is the most cost effective way to get into a pair of spurs, because I don't think $200+ is in the cards this year either.
If you don’t see a good pair on the classifieds, check local pawn shops, if you have a neighbor who retired from AT&T or Comcast, ask them. If you still can’t find any, stick to screw in steps and start saving for next year. The entry level buckingham or Klein’s Start north of 225 and they go up from there. I’ve seen some as high as $465.

Check EBAY. You don't need aluminum ones for over 200. The steel ones climb just as well.. Should be able to get a good set of Kleins for under 150.

If you don’t see a good pair on the classifieds, check local pawn shops, if you have a neighbor who retired from AT&T or Comcast, ask them. If you still can’t find any, stick to screw in steps and start saving for next year. The entry level buckingham or Klein’s Start north of 225 and they go up from there. I’ve seen some as high as $465.
I will keep using steps for presets, but sometimes mid season you realize "if I was over there another 50 yards, that's where they keep walking". Insert alternate climbing method and bang, you're there with little hassle. Also been looking into 2TC for the same purpose. I want to get exposure to a few climbing methods to see what works best for me.

I will keep using steps for presets, but sometimes mid season you realize "if I was over there another 50 yards, that's where they keep walking". Insert alternate climbing method and bang, you're there with little hassle. Also been looking into 2TC for the same purpose. I want to get exposure to a few climbing methods to see what works best for me.
2TC will be cheaper that’s for sure

One-sticking is pretty mobile!

It's my preference...

Back