• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spurs

Jartiam

I’m looking into some spurs/spikes and was wondering if I needed to change anything about my lineman’s belt? Every video I see seems to show a really heavy lineman that is easy to flip. I own the kestrel, and where the lineman’s belt is pretty robust, I’m still wondering about the ease of ‘flip’?
Justin

Nope. I don't even "flip" the rope as I climb. I hold onto the tree, take a couple steps then move my line up. If you are going for speed a heavier rope is easier but for our use I don't think it's needed. I've always used the same 11mm rope that my tether is.

A stiffer rope is definitely easier to maneuver as a lineman’s even if you don’t truly use a true flipline technique. Samson Predator is really floppy rope and makes a really poor lineman’s belt in my view. I am a fan of HTP, regardless of your climbing method it makes a better lineman's because it has a little more stiffness.

I've used a really stiff rope (Bluewater Assault) and a softer Rope (Tethrd Lineman). I think the stiffer rope is marginally easier to use in the beginning. Once you're used to your spurs...they're both easy.

@flinginairos is right. Hold the tree, take a couple small steps up, advance your rope, repeat. This forces you to take your time and pay close attention to where you're placing your spikes. Using this method, I climb to about 20-25 feet in about 3-5 minutes depending on the tree. You can add about 45-90 seconds per tether/lineman belt limb move as well.

Thanks guys. I know there are probably a few videos of saddle guys out there climbing a tree, but everything I saw came from the arborists...and their REALLY stiff belts. They make it look super easy. I’ll plan on taking it slow and pretty much using the same technique I do for steps..
I’m really looking forward to it though...completely legal where I hunt and it looks like a very efficient way to climb a tree once you learn.

Thanks guys. I know there are probably a few videos of saddle guys out there climbing a tree, but everything I saw came from the arborists...and their REALLY stiff belts. They make it look super easy. I’ll plan on taking it slow and pretty much using the same technique I do for steps..
I’m really looking forward to it though...completely legal where I hunt and it looks like a very efficient way to climb a tree once you learn.

Here's a good one:

Here's a good one:

Great video Fling! I keep trying to convince people who are drilling holes in trees that the spikes are much faster and easier than drilling a bunch of holes in every tree you might hunt. I think it’s also far less work. I was planning to do a video to demonstrate but this is perfect.

Whoops just noticed GCT posted this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great video Fling! I keep trying to convince people who are drilling holes in trees that the spikes are much faster and easier than drilling a bunch of holes in every tree you might hunt. I think it’s also far less work. I was planning to do a video to demonstrate but this is perfect.

Whoops just noticed GCT posted this. Thanks!

Bolts are great for trees you plan to hunt more frequently. Especially if you preset them in the preseason with a cordless drill. Hunting those trees you just walk in with a handful of bolts and load them up as you climb. But spurs looks like the shiz. I just got a pair and have only climbed once so far. I had to retrieve a platform from a preset tree from last fall and I used the spurs to get up there to get it. I was a bit awkward but it was pretty simple. I was amazed how easily the gafs gripped the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolts are great for trees you plan to hunt more frequently. Especially if you preset them in the preseason with a cordless drill. Hunting those trees you just walk in with a handful of bolts and load them up as you climb. But spurs looks like the shiz. I just got a pair and have only climbed once so far. I had to retrieve a platform from a preset tree from last fall and I used the spurs to get up there to get it. I was a bit awkward but it was pretty simple. I was amazed how easily the gafs gripped the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally understand that, I just never hunt the same tree twice in one season.

Get up some trees as often as you can with those spurs. It will become second nature.

Reactions: PJC
Back