• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Squirrel step w/ versa button? Possible?

Jsnake4444

Apr 5, 2018
I am thinking a squirrel step with either a hook or versa button that would work with a daisy chain type strap would be awesome. Is it doable?

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
I don't know about the feasibility of a button, since it would be robbing step real estate. But @DanO offers cambuckle straps like pretty much all prior iterations of strap on steps came with.

I think it's been mentioned that the broblem with a single strap on step is that with a looser connection (daisychain) it gets side loaded and swings or pivots badly. I've heard that complaint from cranford rope on users.

Honestly, I've been meaning to play with ameristeps as a climbing method again. Its the most similar public legal method compared to my preferred bolt system.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
An Ameristep with a daisy chain strap would be awesome. Even if the step had to be slightly larger
I loke the concept, and question the execution. :)

Now, if you used the "boat cleat" design that some are using on diy sticks, that wouldn't rob you of real estate...

Still think a whoopie or a 3/4 mini cambuckle is a better choice, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jsnake4444

Apr 5, 2018
I loke the concept, and question the execution. :)

Now, if you used the "boat cleat" design that some are using on diy sticks, that wouldn't rob you of real estate...

Still think a whoopie or a 3/4 mini cambuckle is a better choice, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
I like the idea of the Whoopie. Is that what the cranfords use now. A folding squirrel with a whoopie.

Reactions: Nutterbuster

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
I like the idea of the Whoopie. Is that what the cranfords use now. A folding squirrel with a whoopie.
The more I think about the boat cleat attachment, the more I think that's a better option. Whoopies can bind and be a pain to remove. A cleat would let you just wrap and tuck. Very easy to do and undo. Of course, it would work with a whoopie too.

Jsnake4444

Apr 5, 2018
I
The more I think about the boat cleat attachment, the more I think that's a better option. Whoopies can bind and be a pain to remove. A cleat would let you just wrap and tuck. Very easy to do and undo. Of course, it would work with a whoopie too.
I am just not a fan of the whole buckle thing with the amount of steps it would take to climb to hunting hieght.

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
I can attest to the whole cranford loose step thing. Dont get me wrong I love my cranford rope steps but they are hard to get snug and dont like side load. I use them as additional pivot points to my platform. I think the versa button idea on a squirrel step could work based on what your using them for. When i say versa button i mean a DIY bolt and fender washer that is super close to the body of the step. Just barely long enough to slip some amsteel over. If i were using it as a ring of steps or climbing method, I would not do this. But if your using them like i use my cranfords, just as a pivot step while the other foot is still on the platform, I think thats doable and a good enough idea to try it.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
I don't know about the feasibility of a button, since it would be robbing step real estate. But @DanO offers cambuckle straps like pretty much all prior iterations of strap on steps came with.

I think it's been mentioned that the broblem with a single strap on step is that with a looser connection (daisychain) it gets side loaded and swings or pivots badly. I've heard that complaint from cranford rope on users.

Honestly, I've been meaning to play with ameristeps as a climbing method again. Its the most similar public legal method compared to my preferred bolt system.

I have been trying squirrels steps with a six step aider 6.5 feet per step is feasible. I can do it. Reaching down to move the aider is a pain but it is light and compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro