• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Squirrel steps????

ScottL

SH Member
What in everyone's opinion makes the squirrel steps a better ros than say the bullman silent approach steps? I saw several comments about packability but is that all or am I missing something?

I have both, but my feet hurt after 2 hours on a ROS. either way, I now have a OOAL solo with my squirrel steps on it instead of silent approach. They aren't as bulky to pack, once wrapped in camo form they are quiet and hidden, also the bullman outdoors are a little bit of a pain in that once you have it around the tree you have to make sure every one of them is in the upright position.

That being said, the bullman outdoors steps took longer to hurt my feet than the squirrel steps.

But my vote is squirrel steps.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Dead silent once wrapped in vet tape
rock solid on the tree
easier to pack and setup
made from aluminum = bomb proof!

It's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a prius, both will get the job done but one makes every moment pleasurable and one makes you wish you could do it all over again.

Squirrel steps and don't look back

In my opinion the bullman are just a bad design. They want to lever out and away from the tree when weighted vs like an ameristep that pushes straight down. 5 squirrel steps pack down to a 4 1/4 inch stack of steps. 5 ameristeps don’t stack well but slid together on a strap they take up 10 inches. Your older golden buck/sky hook steps stack at an inch per step. There are plenty of options out there.

What in everyone's opinion makes the squirrel steps a better ros than say the bullman silent approach steps? I saw several comments about packability but is that all or am I missing something?

Packability and solid on the tree compared to SA. $26 a step not including strap is difficult to stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Packability and solid on the tree compared to SA. $26 a step not including strap is difficult to stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be fair, throwing out price for a moment the 2 most important criteria for just about anything we bring into the woods to hunt with are packability (compactness plus ease of packing/unpacking), and how well it does its job once unpacked.

Back