• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT ascend without mechanical device - is it feasible?

CJnGA

I don't know why, but I have a bee in my bonnet for trying to do SRT without a second mechanical ascender. Maybe I'm just apprehensive of a mechanical device being there to catch a fall or break while in the 'stand' position. I currently have a hand ascender that I attach a foot loop to for the 'stand' portion of the climb, but I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to use a friction hitch of some sort for the second attach point (the 'sit' portion of the climb) instead of a mechanical device (SafeGuard, GriGri, etc.). I have an ATC with autoblock for rappelling that seems to work well, so the descent isn't a problem.

I was trying out the distel hitch yesterday in the back yard and it technically works, but it takes two hands to slide it up the rope while standing in the foot loop.

Am I just chasing my tail at this point and should bite the bullet with and go with a mechanical ascender?

Thanks,
CJ

Skilled tree guys can SRT with just a friction hitch and a footlock. Saw a great video of it but cant find it right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Still new to SRT myself but sounds like DRT videos I’ve seen - here’s a link to start..

DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know why, but I have a bee in my bonnet for trying to do SRT without a second mechanical ascender. Maybe I'm just apprehensive of a mechanical device being there to catch a fall or break while in the 'stand' position. I currently have a hand ascender that I attach a foot loop to for the 'stand' portion of the climb, but I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to use a friction hitch of some sort for the second attach point (the 'sit' portion of the climb) instead of a mechanical device (SafeGuard, GriGri, etc.). I have an ATC with autoblock for rappelling that seems to work well, so the descent isn't a problem.

I was trying out the distel hitch yesterday in the back yard and it technically works, but it takes two hands to slide it up the rope while standing in the foot loop.

Am I just chasing my tail at this point and should bite the bullet with and go with a mechanical ascender?

Thanks,
CJ
When I started climbing SRT last year I tried to go cheap with an guide ATC and Ropeman. After a few "Oh S***" moments I got a hand ascender and GriGri and it was the best thing I did. They just work well with no problems. I got tired of fiddling with friction hitches which are sometimes too tight and sometimes too loose and you slip down the rope a foot or so.

Around 16 minutes and 30 seconds in ypu see him climbing SRT with a pulley tended friction hitch and a foot lock. Looks way too athletic for my fat ass though.

That makes sense, but still pretty cumbersome. I may just need to bite the bullet and get a second mechanical device. I feel good with the hand ascender piece but as hoping to keep a knot on the rope rather than my only connection being a mechanical device that always has a pin or rod that can bend/break/crack and leave you (not) hanging. I guess I could always keep a secondary kleimheist below the mechanical device as a backup.

Thanks for the intel.

Still new to SRT myself but sounds like DRT videos I’ve seen - here’s a link to start..

DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen quite a bit on the DRT. I personally don't like the idea of rubbing the rope on the tree up top every climb. It's probably the least 'mechanical' climbing method by far, though. Thanks.

When I started climbing SRT last year I tried to go cheap with an guide ATC and Ropeman. After a few "Oh S***" moments I got a hand ascender and GriGri and it was the best thing I did. They just work well with no problems. I got tired of fiddling with friction hitches which are sometimes too tight and sometimes too loose and you slip down the rope a foot or so.

I think I'm finally coming to that realization. Just pick up a GriGri or similar and be done with it. Thanks.

Grigri is dead simple. I use a grigri and a distel hitch and its really not bad advancing the distel.

Grigri is dead simple. I use a grigri and a distel hitch and its really not bad advancing the distel.

Are you using the distel as your 'top' attach point and the GriGri as the 'bottom' attach point?

I don't back up my Safeguard. I attach a sling from my toothed ascender to my bridge. That is my backup. Two devices have to fail for me to fall. Of course, I only have one bridge. That is my weak spot.

Friction hitches can ‘fail’ just like mechanical devices. And believe me, I was the guy who wanted to have zero moving parts in my system. Muddy/wet rope changes coefficient of friction, hitch not properly dressed, etc.
I finally came to the realization that a Petzl Left Hand Ascender and a MR Safeguard are really safe and super efficient.

Are you using the distel as your 'top' attach point and the GriGri as the 'bottom' attach point?
Yes. I have an aider attached to the distel carabiner and I also clip the tag end of my rope through that carabiner to give me some mechanical advantage when pulling rope through my grigri.

One SRT device I would recommend is the Singing Tree Rope Wrench. It relies on your hitch( so learning a proper hitch is imperative) and all you need is a foot ascender. This SRT revelation that has hit saddle hunting is what we call RADS and is probably the most labor intensive way of employing SRT. Getting the proper hitch cord to match climbing rope and I am talking 11mm+ size ropes not trying to climb skinny lines to save weight. Rope walking is the most efficient method but I would recommend some training. If I can ever host or attend a gathering in Michigan I can demonstrate some techniques and pass on some things I have been taught by some arborists and rec tree climbers.

I have the Hitchiker shown on the right which I tried on 11mm rope. It won't work on 8mm rope like Oplux. I have since wired the shackle so it would not unscrew. I rappelled down from 20 feet one time and as I hit the ground the shackle fell apart. Lucky me I was on the ground. Cold sweat time. The HH is clanky and heavy. I never used it for hunting. When hunting, you don't need to go up and down a lot as arborists do so a more secure method like RADS has a big advantage.

Yeah I would imagine most are climbing to heights between 18'-25' so RADS is ok . When I use presets I use a foot ascender with the Roperunner and ascending is a breeze even for an old fart. I never disconnect and have my tether adjustment in the Roperunner along with an adjustable bridge.

I think the NY Saddle Hunter guys do a great job of showing/demonstrating both SRT and DRT methods. I believe one of them is a professional arborist. You can find them on YouTube by NYSaddlehunter.

For what it’s worth: I use 55’ of 11mm static climbing line, GriGri +, petzel hand ascender w/ footloop, and I carry a figure 8 if I need a backup. I agree that mechanical devices/RADS are the cats meow for the heights we climb. I use canopy hitches. If I’m going in blind, I use one stick and climbing line as a tether. No tying knots in the dark for me.

Do what works for you. Good luck and stay safe!!!

Thanks for the replies, folks. I've got a couple of things to look into now. I've acquired a pinched nerve in my neck so I'm out for climbing for a few days but I'll experiment a bit in the back yard soon and let folks know what I come up with.

Yeah I would imagine most are climbing to heights between 18'-25' so RADS is ok . When I use presets I use a foot ascender with the Roperunner and ascending is a breeze even for an old fart. I never disconnect and have my tether adjustment in the Roperunner along with an adjustable bridge.
When I'm not using RADS I have used a right foot ascender and a DIY left self ascending knee ascender along with the Hitchiker. Rope walking is fast but you need to carry 3 ascenders/belay devices. With RADS you are carrying 2 devices. Carrying less gear is an advantage while hunting especially less clanking gear.

I have the Hitchiker shown on the right which I tried on 11mm rope. It won't work on 8mm rope like Oplux. I have since wired the shackle so it would not unscrew. I rappelled down from 20 feet one time and as I hit the ground the shackle fell apart. Lucky me I was on the ground. Cold sweat time. The HH is clanky and heavy. I never used it for hunting. When hunting, you don't need to go up and down a lot as arborists do so a more secure method like RADS has a big advantage.
Do you use the HH for other climbing or do you like it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back