• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT frustrations

okccj

Hey guys, I'm about to post my SRT stuff for sale in the classifieds. I was hoping it would be a good run and gun method but now I'm rethinking things. Like many climbing methods, it's not too bad when practicing at the park, on a summer evening, with a perfect tree, but it's a different story when it's 25 degrees in the dark.
Anyone ever master this as a run and gun method or are presets a must?

i find presets are good an before day light with a throw rope is a no go ...if u sell i might would buy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

i find presets are good an before day light with a throw rope is a no go ...if u sell i might would buy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

the throw bag is max frustration in the dark. I've even experiminted with an extension pole, which I think is better than the throw bag, but still cumbersome in hunting woods, but not bad to carry since it's five feet tall and sort of like a walking stick.

Presets for me. The couple times I've tried run and gun I got frustrated and sweaty and left.
I've found it to work if I'm going in blind I'll bring 5 or 6 Stepps and climb up and set my ROS. If it's that good I'll preset it for next time.

Afternoon run and gun or pre sets for me. Trying to toss a throw bag over a limb 30’ up via headlamp doesn’t sound fun at all.

But...I usually know exactly where I’m going on morning hunts so pre sets are more reasonable.

I totally agree with you on the painters pole. Adding that type of equipment to your SRT quiver completely defeats the minimalist benefit of SRT. Might as well just pack sticks at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRT is fast and quiet if I have no problem getting the throw bag in the tree. I can't rely on myself to consistently and quietly hit the branch I want. The throw bag frustration has forced me to use an alternate climbing method on trees that aren't preset. I leave 550 cord in pretty much all the trees I hunt so I can come back with only SRT gear.

I use a a extension for for non presets makes life esay there some videos o. How poeple been doing it I usethepole for making the presets to

Back