• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT guys, how do you get the rope up?

IkemanTX

Just like the title reads... I am wondering how you SRT guys get the rope up in the tree to start with. Is it conducive to mobile setups, can you set up in close proximity to a bed, and just how difficult is it to get the rope to height?

After seeing a post on the Haas Velox, I would be interested in adding SRT to my bag of tricks next year or the year after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw line with weaver weight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Man, I was hoping I could send it up on a cross bow bolt. To the highest branch. :angry::angry::blush::blush:

Just like the title reads... I am wondering how you SRT guys get the rope up in the tree to start with. Is it conducive to mobile setups, can you set up in close proximity to a bed, and just how difficult is it to get the rope to height?

After seeing a post on the Haas Velox, I would be interested in adding SRT to my bag of tricks next year or the year after.

Haas knee ascender and a foot ascender and a friction hitch like a distel or VT with a pulley to tend it and youll fly right up.

Haas knee ascender and a foot ascender and a friction hitch like a distel or VT with a pulley to tend it and youll fly right up.

I'm guessing if you are pulling over a limb, you need a little more than double the height you plan to hunt at as far as rope is concerned...? So, if you want to hunt 25 feet you would need 50-60 ft of rope?

I'm guessing if you are pulling over a limb, you need a little more than double the height you plan to hunt at as far as rope is concerned...? So, if you want to hunt 25 feet you would need 50-60 ft of rope?

I carry 75 feet with me and i can go way up, i like to throw to the limb above my spot id like to setup and tie a base anchor to the bottom of the tree then zip right up. I tie off my bow to the bottom of my rope and pull it up when im ready.

75' nice, kinda wish I bought a longer rope, I only have 60'. I use a throw line as well but am hoping to have a few trees setup with 550 cord so that in the early morning all I have to do is pull up my static rope and climb it. I haven't been tying off the rope to the tree as an anchor but using a delta screw on the end and pass the tail end through, then tie the 550 cord to the delta screw so I can pull the rope down after, means you can get to 30' with only a 30' foot rope, but it can be tricky getting the rope down.

I put a micro pulley on the delta link and it makes it way easier to get the rope down. I have at least one or two ropes up in trees right now that I couldn't get down. I was buying end pieces of rope from Sterling and I believe they were only ~$20. I don't think the color matters. Shot a nice buck with a red one.

I was practicing the other day and my rope went over 2 branches and around the tree when I got down and tried to retrieve it, it wasn't moving, granted I wasn't using a micro pulley just a delta screw, I just climbed back up the rope and moved it below the branches and it came right down. I think in that case, I'll move the rope before I come down in the future if I can predict the conditions where the rope gets stuck, lol.

How do rope sheaths handle the abrasion of being pulled over rough tree bark? If going purely mobile, and setting up with a throw bag and SRT every sit... would a rope last a full season before needing to be replaced?

The more I think about it, I think spurs and MAYBE rappelling down is still the better bet for me.

How do rope sheaths handle the abrasion of being pulled over rough tree bark? If going purely mobile, and setting up with a throw bag and SRT every sit... would a rope last a full season before needing to be replaced?

The more I think about it, I think spurs and MAYBE rappelling down is still the better bet for me.

depends entirely on the type of ropes being use, as long as theres no human weight on the rope when your pulling it over the branch it will be fine. Otherwise my rope will eat through the bark.

Not necessarily, if you intend to hunt 25 feet then you could do it with 30 feet of rope and some paracord.

Depends where you hunt, In ohio spurs are illegal on public ground which is where i primarily use my rope setups.

Depends where you hunt, In ohio spurs are illegal on public ground which is where i primarily use my rope setups.

Ya, I can't use the spurs on every property, but I can on the army corps places. Within a 2 hour drive of me, that's 80K acres if I'm willing to buy both a TX and OK license. I am really setting my equipment up for that area because kayak and boat access gets me away from the crowds there.

75' nice, kinda wish I bought a longer rope, I only have 60'. I use a throw line as well but am hoping to have a few trees setup with 550 cord so that in the early morning all I have to do is pull up my static rope and climb it. I haven't been tying off the rope to the tree as an anchor but using a delta screw on the end and pass the tail end through, then tie the 550 cord to the delta screw so I can pull the rope down after, means you can get to 30' with only a 30' foot rope, but it can be tricky getting the rope down.
You should be fine with 60', that will get you plenty high. The delta link is a good idea, eliminates rope on rope friction and makes it easier to feed the rope through.

Can you post a pic of your setup whenever you have a chance. I'm mostly interested in how you are tending everything at chest height, that is what I haven't quite worked out with my setup.

Can you post a pic of your setup whenever you have a chance. I'm mostly interested in how you are tending everything at chest height, that is what I haven't quite worked out with my setup.
Its very similar to this setup, i use shock cord and a chest harness to pull up my pulley which tends the system.
d2ad7733c0144aafda26cf3f6650bba1.jpg

Ya, that's all just too complicated for me... I is a simple man.. lol

Its easier then you think buddy.

But with a high initial investment cost.
I am allergic to pricey gear. That's why I modify all mine from inexpensive stuff :)

Heck, I will probably wait until early summer to even pick up the new New Tribe minimalist saddle...
also, it doesn't seem to be much of a weight savings (if at all).

Back