• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT help on a nasty cedar

michigandrake

I am in need of some guidance on how to get up a nasty cedar tree. Thing is like a deranged 50' tall Christmas tree. No problem actually climbing up or rappelling down ..... it's getting the rope up the tree. I have a person size hole to fish the rope through and I can't get any angle to turn the rope around the tree with the pull-up line. I can't find a smooth path for the rope ..... there are just too many branches (the reason I am rope climbing it in the first place). I was thinking of building a top anchor for this tree. Chain, treesaver and quick link was my idea. That should solve rope feeding problem but would require a stopper knot or beaner block and that seems a little sketchy to me. I see Youtube videos of mountain climbers rappelling with this setup but I have not seen it used for SRT. Anyone with experience using a top anchor or stopper knot setup?

I would find a way to rotate a couple different ropes in and out so you arent leaving one out all season long. Leave one and carry your next one in, replace it after you are up the tree, tie the tag end to a low branch between hunts.

Make sure to clean your ropes.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I would find a way to rotate a couple different ropes in and out so you arent leaving one out all season long. Leave one and carry your next one in, replace it after you are up the tree, tie the tag end to a low branch between hunts.

Make sure to clean your ropes.

That could work. It might be a month between hunts ...... do red squirrels chew climbing rope?? Prime red squirrel territory for sure.

I had something chew a rope a little in my backyard tree which I left for about 3 days. I assume squirrels. If your tree has that many branches how can you shoot though them?

No idea, how many days do you hunt at a time if you spend a month between hunts?

I prep 10-13 trees, a couple of ground blinds and go mobile a few times a year. I usually have 40ish days at deer camp. A lot depends on hunting pressure, wind and weather as to where, how much and how hard I hunt. I might hunt this spot several times in a couple of weeks but maybe just a couple of times all year. It just depends on how the cards fall ...... with luck I will just hunt it one time and be dragging after.

I had something chew a rope a little in my backyard tree which I left for about 3 days. I assume squirrels. If your tree has that many branches how can you shoot though them?
It just happens that a poplar tree fell and took out a few branches at the top. It left a saddle hunter size hole. It is tailor made for saddle hunting ....... you can hide behind the tree with all the cover in the world and then just rotate out and it is completely open. Normally I would not give a tree like this a look but that hole just looked too nice. I one sticked it in March and I knew it had to be hunted. Also, that it could not be climbed with sticks so here we are talking about SRT.

I one sticked it in March and I knew it had to be hunted. Also, that it could not be climbed with sticks so here we are talking about SRT.

If u climbed in March with a stick how can it not be climbed with a stick?

I'm curious to hear others responses also.....I climb lots of trees like the 1 I'm picturing in my head based on your description and I've wondered how the rope climbers handle trees like that. That's been the main reason I haven't looked into the drt/srt rappel.....im using branches and changing directions around the trunk while climbing more often than not....I just cant picture how you can use the ropes to ascend and descend on trees like that

I'm curious to hear others responses also.....I climb lots of trees like the 1 I'm picturing in my head based on your description and I've wondered how the rope climbers handle trees like that. That's been the main reason I haven't looked into the drt/srt rappel.....im using branches and changing directions around the trunk while climbing more often than not....I just cant picture how you can use the ropes to ascend and descend on trees like that

Descending wouldn’t be a problem but getting a rope into the tree for SRT would be a real challenge. I’d probably one stick up and rappel down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess technically it can be climbed with a stick but it took forever and made to much noise. It is right on the edge of a bedding area so stealth is required. What got me thinking about the rope is how there is a tunnel that comes up right under the stand. Like I said this tree is perfect for saddle hunting. Maybe not for climbing but the hunting part has potential.

Don't take my advise on using limbs, but I climb quite a few of those thick cedars around here and usually leave the climbing method I brought at the base of the tree and use the limbs, bolts or screw in steps. Strap on steps may work good where screw ins or bolts can't be used. I was stuck on using Wild Edge steps when I first got them and had to use them on every tree which led to frustration more than anything because they definitely aren't ideal in every situation. I think it pays to have a few different methods if you can. I can't help ya on SRT, it seems like a real pain in this given scenario.

You could srt to the bottom limb and then just old school climb the tree from there (you know with an lineman’s belt like a responsible adult) and then rappel back down.
Or like @Jtaylor above said just climb it from the bottom.

Last edited:
Alternating lanyard technique and just climb the branches. Once you get up, leave a paracord loop in the tunnel to pull your rope up each time.

Thanks for the replies. I am out when it comes to climbing branches. I am also not comfortable one sticking this tree. It is just to much tree for me without the rope.

I am going to work on an anchor for the rest of the summer in my back 40 and see what I can come up with. I am also considering leaving a rope in place but protecting the part around the tree with a sheath to keep chewing critters at bay. Still have a few months to get it all figures out.

Thanks for the replies. I am out when it comes to climbing branches. I am also not comfortable one sticking this tree. It is just to much tree for me without the rope.

I am going to work on an anchor for the rest of the summer in my back 40 and see what I can come up with. I am also considering leaving a rope in place but protecting the part around the tree with a sheath to keep chewing critters at bay. Still have a few months to get it all figures out.
I have not done this but want to try it. Here is an old guy showing how he does it. If he can do it, I probably can too. I like to call myself a rope climber, not a tree climber. The rope just happens to be suspended from the tree. :D

Back