• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT in Kestrel vs Mantis

Country

I tried SRT for the first time yesterday in the Mantis. I didn't think it was the most comfortable saddle to just hang in with no platform under my feet. Wondering if the Kestrel is any more comfortable in that regard. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Had same issue. Fortunately I have both mantis and kestrel, the latter was better for srt.

I didn't really notice a difference. I think they are both uncomfortable when using a tiny bridge for the SRT climb. Not a big deal to me because I'm only climbing for like 1-2 minutes max then I change over to my regular tether system.

I didn't really notice a difference. I think they are both uncomfortable when using a tiny bridge for the SRT climb. Not a big deal to me because I'm only climbing for like 1-2 minutes max then I change over to my regular tether system.
Kind of my thoughts about the short climb.

What are you using for a shorter bridge just curious? I think in time you'll get more comfortable....I tend to put more weight on my foot strap and only sit in the saddle while advancing my hand ascender...need more info on your system can't remember what you using...?

I've heard of a lot of guys using 15" Sterling hollow block for their short bridge. Haven't tested it out yet. I am using a loop I made from 1" tube webbing and seems to work fine.

I use a 12" runner rated at 24kn. It's really short the way I use it and gives me the most efficiency while climbing

What are you using for a shorter bridge just curious? I think in time you'll get more comfortable....I tend to put more weight on my foot strap and only sit in the saddle while advancing my hand ascender...need more info on your system can't remember what you using...?
I'm using that Sterling 11/16", 17mm climbing sling.

Back