• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT OR DRT

Old an fat. Tried DRT and it wasn’t good for me.

I gave up on climbing like that so I tried a couple things and I’ve stuck with single stick. The. I had an issue where my stick dropped and I realized a single 30’ tether means I can climb, hunt, then rappel down.

Of course if you’re on a single rope moving your stick up the tree it’s super convenient to have an SRT setup on the tether. So now I do this weird hybrid.

I put my tether as far up the tree as I can. I come down and unhook my stick and SRT up to the top of my tether and reattach it. Then I use the stick to put my tether up as high as I can and repeat.

On occasions where I’m hunting the same spot In the morning I rap down leaving my stick and stuff setup and SRT up the next day.

I do have a throw line in my bag and paracord and could in theory pure SRT up and I may even prep some trees this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been climbing DRT this season. It’s easy and cheap to get started. If you have your saddle all you need is your throw line, throw ball, pouch to put it in, and rope along with the knowledge to tie the correct knots. It’s not as easy to climb as I thought it would be but not terrible either. I am going to finish the season DRT and look into SRT for next.

My set up is a Kestrel saddle, 75 feet of Samson Predator rope, Ridge Runner platform.

Srt. Grigri and a hand ascender. 38’ of climbing rope and a throw line. Switch off to a proper tether at height for positioning and coil the srt rope on tree.

I use DRT--the gear is simple (66' rope w/ a hitch tied in it) and quiet (no clinkity clankity parts) and there's not a lot that can go wrong with the gear. Getting your gear out of the tree is also uncomplicated. I guess the climbing movement may take 5 minutes to figure out. If you're athletic enough to deliver a dozen hip thrusts, you can probably do DRT. I use Yale Blue Moon 11.7mm which works great but it's not camo. I'd recommend 75' if you DRT.

For throw line I use a little bag I made of cordura filled with bullets. 12oz. My throw line is a 100ft of 2mm UHMWPE cord from amazon (emma kites). It's red, 1000lb, zero stretch, no memory, and very low friction. I keep the cord flaked out (i.e. shoveled with no particular care) into a plasticky grocery tote which folds up nicely, and it shoots untangled right out of the bag usually without any fuss.

The throw ball weight is partly personal preference, but at the end of the day needs to pull whatever cord you use down through whatever number branches you've happened to it passed over. For a little bit I used a 12oz torpedo shaped fishing weight after I tangled a bag at 30'. Downside to that is that it'll bounce back at you if you hit the tree trunk square. Might not hold up over the long haul either--the brass ends get bent when you botch a toss and hit the trunk.

Last edited:
I'm just getting into this. What do you guy's use for a throw line and weight.

I got some cheap cordage that’s about the thickness of twine and orange on a spool at the dollar store. I then picked up a bag of 3 tennis balls there too.

At home I drilled a hole through a tennis ball and put an old bolt through it with a washer and tied the line to that.

So far so good!

Arborist Throw bag and 2 mm rope with pouch $25 on eBay or Amazon. Stay away from non name brand ascenders, they are cheap but also big, lots of tolerance between parts(noisy), and don't work like that which they are imitating. I also bought some off brand rope which I don't recommend, I can't tie a Blake's hitch that will cinch down on itself.

SRT / RADS for me. I tried DRT but could only get any progress using a foot ascender. It was slow climbing since you must pull 2 feet of rope for every 1 foot of height. It only works if you can throw a weight over a crotch. I can push a girth hitched rope up a tree or throw over a crotch and climb a tree SRT. Some areas I hunted had no crotches before maybe 50 feet. I would need 100 feet of rope to climb DRT and be able to hit that 50 foot crotch. I use a 10 oz Buckingham throwbag with some 300 lb test dynema fishing line to get the rope over a crotch or my electrical conduit rope pusher pole to push the rope up a limbless straight tree.

Arborist Throw bag and 2 mm rope with pouch $25 on eBay or Amazon. Stay away from non name brand ascenders, they are cheap but also big, lots of tolerance between parts(noisy), and don't work like that which they are imitating. I also bought some off brand rope which I don't recommend, I can't tie a Blake's hitch that will cinch down on itself.

I’ve been seeing a pair of ascenders come up on amazon. They are $90 for the pair where as the name brand ones are $120 each (I’m in Canada BTW). This just screams NOOOOOOO!!! to me.

I’m not going to risk my life to save a few bucks.

I’ve been seeing a pair of ascenders come up on amazon. They are $90 for the pair where as the name brand ones are $120 each (I’m in Canada BTW). This just screams NOOOOOOO!!! to me.

I’m not going to risk my life to save a few bucks.

Wow chits expensive up there, eh? Cheap Hand ascenders sponsored ads here are around $30. Wild country, petzl, black diamond, other brand name models average $40-$75. I got a black diamond new in package for $45 including shipping

I have one of those generic hand ascenders and it works fine. I am happy with it. The big difference is weight. I also have a Petzl to carry less weight.

SRT / RADS for me. I tried DRT but could only get any progress using a foot ascender. It was slow climbing since you must pull 2 feet of rope for every 1 foot of height. It only works if you can throw a weight over a crotch. I can push a girth hitched rope up a tree or throw over a crotch and climb a tree SRT. Some areas I hunted had no crotches before maybe 50 feet. I would need 100 feet of rope to climb DRT and be able to hit that 50 foot crotch. I use a 10 oz Buckingham throwbag with some 300 lb test dynema fishing line to get the rope over a crotch or my electrical conduit rope pusher pole to push the rope up a limbless straight tree.

DRT is definitely at a disadvantage if you’re in a very mature hardwood forest. One of the public spots I frequent is like that and it’s hard to find a tree. But generally, lack of limbs is not an issue for me—more often than that I have too many limbs and it takes me some time and climbing to get the climbing rope routed.

But the more you do it, the more you spot workable trees and ways to get up.

Also I can’t stress enough that it’s worth spending a couple $$ on a good throwing line since this is where the bulk of your swearing will come from with either DRT or SRT. Throwing a line that always wants to tangle is going to be a fun-killer.

Also I can’t stress enough that it’s worth spending a couple $$ on a good throwing line since this is where the bulk of your swearing will come from with either DRT or SRT. Throwing a line that always wants to tangle is going to be a fun-killer.

I carry a single stick. It becomes part of my platform at the top with a ROS. If I can’t get a rope into the tree to SRT I can still single stick it.

Reactions: BFI
If you SRT and use carabiners try and get them all that open the same way. It is a little frustrating when you grab a carabiner and cant get it open in the dark and realize it opens a different way than 80% off your other ones.

Last edited:
Back