• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT paracord preset knot hack

parsnip

Apologetic preamble: This is really just for SRT preset folks who are interesting in nerding out on the tiniest details. Like me.

I've noticed two things that bug me about my SRT presets, and I figured out a hack that works to fix both. I've been using it all season to make sure it doesn't actually suck, and it doesn't. It actually gives me a little jolt of serotonin every time I use it. So I thought I'd share.

Problem 1. I don't like the various knots I've used to tie the preset paracord in a tree, to the paracord loop at the end of my SRT rope. I have a permanent 2" loop of paracord, through a hole in the end of my rope that I melted with a nail. (If you don't have this, and you are pulling rope into a tree, you definitely want to do it. I learned about it here and it rocks.) Tying the preset cord to that loop, and then untying it, though way less annoying than tying directly the rope, was always a bit annoying. Not anymore.

Problem 2. Which side of the paracord to pull, and which side to tie your rope to? When it comes to pulling the rope out of the tree, and when it comes to where you want to land in order to use your SRT rope as a tether, most of my presets have a better side for the delta link to land on. I couldn't ever remember which it was (I have a LOT of presets).

Solution to 1&2.
  • I tie the "pulling" end of my preset paracord to a branch, nail, whatever, with a more permanent knot (like an arbor knot), and leave it there.
  • I tie the "tying to the rope" end of my preset paracord with a slip knot to something nearby so it is easy to get loose. AND, I put a simple overhand knot in the very end. This is a stopper. And it makes it easy to tell one end from the other.
  • To attach the paracord preset to the loop at the end of my rope, I just make the equivalent of a loop to loop knot, by passing the paracord end through, around, and then and out of the loop, following how a loop to loop knot lands. (I know, I know: The end of the paracard isn't a loop, but look at a picture, and you can figure it out). Pull it tight as though there are two loops. Voila. It doesn't slip. And even if it does slip, the stopper knot would stop it. But it really doesn't slip.
  • To untie, just pull on the two loops in the loop to loop, and it slips apart.
It is SUPER easy. And I have never, ever lost my preset because it came undone. It hasn't even slipped. It is bombproof, easy to tie, SUPER easy to untie, and, if you have a preference which end you tie to, and which end you pull on, it keeps it organized. One caveat: One time, using it on high-end arborist throw-line, it definitely slipped (That Dyna really GLIDES). But the stopper knot stopped it.

Ok. So I know this isn't gonna revolutionize saddle hunting. But these little hacks/tricks that keep things slick make everything more fun. I hope it is of use to someone out there.

Last edited:
Back