• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

srt vs one stick

Jokerswild

So I did the math.. I can preset 4o trees for ten bucks for SRT. Unless i have a tree I NEED to hunt.. that has NO limbs,,,, Why would I one stick? I dont hunt alot of "new" country so my SRT could all be pre-et.

True story. You just getting into saddles and climbing?

I was convinced DRT/SRT was the way. Practiced all summer in 3 different trees out back. I found out using the throwball where I hunt doesn't work as easily, and I also had a hunt or two where other folks were sitting near my preset. 1 stick and rappel became my method. If I get a bit of private or exclusive, ill gladly run my paracord presets to my "good trees" but I doubt I'll ever hit the woods without my shikar mini and aider just incase I need to move to another tree.

On the other hand, lots of folks use ropes only and it works well. Good luck to ya.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I found SRT sucks on public land and switched to back to sticks. Did one stick all year but gonna try multiple mini beast sticks next. They’re small and light and I think I’ll be able to get set quicker and quieter. Will still rappel down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good feedback

when I first saw one-stick/rappel...I was like "THATS CRAZY" Then I warmed up to it. But it has its safety and logistical concerns

Then I saw SRT and I thought-"Thats nust!" Then I saw the beauty in it, especially if a guy can pre-set, Really safe and simple.

Im thinking having both in your arsenal is huge,

I don’t think every tree is suitable for one stick or every tree suitable for SRT so I carry both. They are small enough and easy enough to pack that if I carry both I have options.

X2. I'm new to one-sticking, but I have enjoyed SRT for awhile. I agree.....if you have both, your options open up a bit more. Now, if only there was a set of sticks that fold up inside my pack.....I'd be unstoppable. I don't even think I'd hunt.....just bounce around climbing trees all day. :tearsofjoy:

X2. I'm new to one-sticking, but I have enjoyed SRT for awhile. I agree.....if you have both, your options open up a bit more. Now, if only there was a set of sticks that fold up inside my pack.....I'd be unstoppable. I don't even think I'd hunt.....just bounce around climbing trees all day. :tearsofjoy:
Shikar mini will fit in most packs, got a 5 step aider with a sewn stuff sack that packs to a baseball.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I carry both.. mainly because for me the only difference is a hand ascender and foot loop. My platform is my 1-stick(shikar mini w/ scout). I preset 4-5 SRT trees this year. Moved half of them or took them down due them being off the action just a little too much. Nice to have both so if you SRT up and then you realize it’s not the best spot can get down and 1-stick up another tree. Then leave your preset for return trips. Another plus side of the combo is you NEVER have to use a throw ball!

I carry both.. mainly because for me the only difference is a hand ascender and foot loop. My platform is my 1-stick(shikar mini w/ scout). I preset 4-5 SRT trees this year. Moved half of them or took them down due them being off the action just a little too much. Nice to have both so if you SRT up and then you realize it’s not the best spot can get down and 1-stick up another tree. Then leave your preset for return trips. Another plus side of the combo is you NEVER have to use a throw ball!

2x. My thoughts mirror yours exactly. Only difference I have scout and EWO stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What do you like or use for hand ascender and foot loop?

What do you like or use for hand ascender and foot loop?

I have a $25 hand ascender from Amazon. Personally I don’t see a reason to go expensive here since my safegaurd is what is holding my weight. My foot loop is a deer drag/safety strap from an old harness. Worked double duty to drag a doe out of the creek.

I have a $25 hand ascender from Amazon. Personally I don’t see a reason to go expensive here since my safegaurd is what is holding my weight. My foot loop is a deer drag/safety strap from an old harness. Worked double duty to drag a doe out of the creek.

With that said I’ve thought about upgrading to the one below just for size/packability.

I was all set to just use presets and SRT. Practiced a ton in my yard in a couple of trees. Went out with in August to do a few presets. Spent 45 minutes trying to hit the right limb with my throw ball. It’s a whole different game when you are actually in the woods.
However, if you have plenty of time and private land, it is still worth it to preset some honey hole trees (in my opinion)

I was thinking the same thing in regards to budget ascenders. Of course it might need to do duty in another application where its more crucial. Perhaps someone can chime in about lower priced ascenders and how they treat the rope, durability, etc

Im thinking setting lines becomes easier with practice. Im looking into a fishing line/sinker/slingshot combo. wouldnt be practical for run and gun, but for pre-sets I think it can get the job done.

Im looking into a fishing line/sinker/slingshot combo

Works pretty good! At the heights we need... A guy can put a sinker over about any limb he wants. A heavy duty snap swivel on the end of 50 lb braided line with 1 ounce sinker drops over the limb much like a drop bag. I can then detach the sinker and run the swivel to a loop of paracord. A cheap zebco reel, a 6 dollar sling shot, and some cheap braided line I had lying around. Early test are GOOD! It seems anything small enough to snag my components can be snapped off with a tug!

Im looking into a fishing line/sinker/slingshot combo

Works pretty good! At the heights we need... A guy can put a sinker over about any limb he wants. A heavy duty snap swivel on the end of 50 lb braided line with 1 ounce sinker drops over the limb much like a drop bag. I can then detach the sinker and run the swivel to a loop of paracord. A cheap zebco reel, a 6 dollar sling shot, and some cheap braided line I had lying around. Early test are GOOD! It seems anything small enough to snag my components can be snapped off with a tug!

I can’t remember what the name of the line is, but I buy spools of it from Lowe’s/Home Depot. It’s the stuff you use to tie to stakes when you’re lining out a foundation or posts. I call it plumb line. $6 or $7/spool and I think it’s around 300+ feet.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Contractor string. I looked at that. Wasnt sure how it would spool on a reel. I think a chalk line and chalk reel could work..but its a heavier load to zip over a limb. The 50 lb braid is stiff, but light enough to fly. Plus I had some lying around for catfishing.

I can’t remember what the name of the line is, but I buy spools of it from Lowe’s/Home Depot. It’s the stuff you use to tie to stakes when you’re lining out a foundation or posts. I call it plumb line. $6 or $7/spool and I think it’s around 300+ feet.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Mason's line.

Just this year I hunted SRT, bolts, sticks and pre set ladder sticks all on the same private parcel (less than 200 acres). It’s nice to have options.

Back