• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT with Kong Futura

CZMark

SH Member
For a few years, I've done SRT using a Petzl hand ascender. It works great, but I always hated the bulk of it. I tried replacing it with friction hitches without success: They take extra time to tie and verify, and they never either locked or released reliably enough.

This year, I purchased a Kong Futura. The downside of the Future is that no hole exists to connect a carabineer for a 3:1 pulling advantage with the rope. After some thought, I tried connecting my DMM Revolver to the rope, above the Futura, via a Sterling Autoblock tied in a simple French Prusuk.

Viola, the Futura tends the Autoblock, and even if the Autoblock doesn't grab, the Future acts as a stopper. So far, I think it's a winner.
7af4e62c29e2567f1ae6112e996178ff.jpg
3d29252253361510096c0eec8e340969.jpg
037c9843856049540bde01e1179385d5.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

the futura is a pretty nice little compact ascender. I had one at one point, but my hands are pretty large, and even with the bigger handle grip installed it was almost too small.

Yes, it is short. I use 3 fingers and my thumb, my little finger hangs uselessly below.

I like the big handle of the Petzl ascender to hang onto in the tree. I tried a Ropeman 1 and it worked but I like the handle. So what if it weighs a few more ounces.

Be careful with that talk BJ....add an ounce, half of these guys heads will explode if they add an ounce. I also like comfort and will make the sacrifice of a whole nother ounce or 2.

I must be dense this morning but what is the purpose of the autoblock here? Looks like it's to hold the carabineer so it can act as a pulley?

I run mine with a modified whoopsie daisy and a carabiner. Works great.

I must be dense this morning but what is the purpose of the autoblock here? Looks like it's to hold the carabineer so it can act as a pulley?
Yes, you've got it. The Petzl ascender has a hole at the top for the carabiner, the Futura has no place to connect the carabiner.

How important you think the prusik above it is for your 3:1? Just wondering if another carabiner just clipped loosely on the rope above the ascender would do. Might load the cam in a funny way. Probably rattle a bit too, but I wonder.

At least for me, moving the carabiner up those few inches makes a big difference. Also, the single hole in the bottom really doesn't have enough room for both the foot loop and a carabiner.

This is how I run mine
Resizer_16177145478660.jpgResizer_16177145478661.jpgResizer_16177145478662.jpgResizer_16177145478664.jpgResizer_16177145478663.jpgResizer_16177145478667.jpgResizer_16177145478665.jpg

It is a RH version but I can use it comfortably with my left hand too. It gets me up the tree easily so that's all that matters.

At least for me, moving the carabiner up those few inches makes a big difference. Also, the single hole in the bottom really doesn't have enough room for both the foot loop and a carabiner.
Yes, The extra reach is very helpful. I have tried a pulley on the bottom with bolt but higher up feels better. I can tie the strap right through the handle something that might not work on the Futura. Having a carabiner through the upper hole also keeps the rope on the ascender almost no matter what happens which I consider a great safety feature. I also connect my ascender to my bridge as a secondary support line.

Last edited:
Back