• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT

Redoak47*

For fellows that SRT, is using the hand ascender with the pulley on it easier? Went out and tried SRT but my hand ascender doesn't have a pulley, I found it more difficult than DRT.

What setup are you currently using?

I've only ever used a hand ascender with the pully so I don't have any basis of comparison. However, I'm just trying to understand what specifically you're having difficulty with.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

For fellows that SRT, is using the hand ascender with the pulley on it easier? Went out and tried SRT but my hand ascender doesn't have a pulley, I found it more difficult than DRT.
My hand ascender doesn't have the pulley, but I do use a Petzl Rollclip attached to the ascender to achieve basically the same thing. It is a little more clunky though.

You can use a basic carabineer to do the same thing, but without a roller it does induce more friction, which makes it a little more difficult.

What setup are you currently using?

I've only ever used a hand ascender with the pully so I don't have any basis of comparison. However, I'm just trying to understand what specifically you're having difficulty with.

The Petzl ascender,foot loop, madrock safeguard, I bought this one because it was cheaper, the one with the pulley is $105. The youtube vid I watched the guy stood up, I couldn't stand, just was able to move a little at a time. The tree had a lean so I couldn't touch the trunk till I was 20 feet up. I think I need a longer foot loop? Glad I have 6 months to practice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210329-191619_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210329-191619_Chrome.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
As mentioned above you should be able to put a carabiner in the bottom of the hand ascender, pass the rope through, and pull with your free hand. It will have more friction than a pully, but it sounds like that's not most of your problem.

For me, it's really the action of standing up that is key. Pulling the end of the rope is just to take up the slack so the mechanical device can advance. To me it sounds like something is off with the overall geometry of your setup. You may not be vertical enough. I could see laying back too much making it not possible to stand up.

Also, are you using a shorter bridge for climbing? I find that makes a big difference as well. Without it, everything is too far overhead.

I want to get a rope ascending device for going back up an exiting rappel rope. Guess I need a foot loop too. What equipment do I need to compliment my one stick rappel rope? I want the lightest and easiest to climb option. Thx

As mentioned above you should be able to put a carabiner in the bottom of the hand ascender, pass the rope through, and pull with your free hand. It will have more friction than a pully, but it sounds like that's not most of your problem.

For me, it's really the action of standing up that is key. Pulling the end of the rope is just to take up the slack so the mechanical device can advance. To me it sounds like something is off with the overall geometry of your setup. You may not be vertical enough. I could see laying back too much making it not possible to stand up.

Also, are you using a shorter bridge for climbing? I find that makes a big difference as well. Without it, everything is too far overhead.

I will try shorting my brigde tomorrow, it is on the long side.Thanks

I will try shorting my brigde tomorrow, it is on the long side.Thanks
FYI, you are probably going to want a much shorter bridge than you would ever use at height. Most people either use a separate removable short bridge or make their bridge adjustable.

When I shorten my bridge for SRT, I make it as short as I possibly can make it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I want to get a rope ascending device for going back up an exiting rappel rope. Guess I need a foot loop too. What equipment do I need to compliment my one stick rappel rope? I want the lightest and easiest to climb option. Thx
I kinda pieced all this together. I keep it rolled up in the bottom of my pack in case I drop something from height. No need to pull the platform and stick down.

The hand ascender is a cheap model I bought on amazon, but so far it has worked flawlessly. The rope was originally the "amsteel" bridge on my cruzr, now converted to a whoopie sling. And I made the footloop from webbing and a piece of 1/2" rope. The Rollclip was the most expensive part.

d9ffca011b6855fb3ce904d0ada29218.jpgd47f9347a358e604944e8083fb215ba0.jpg082e82eeb6cd4b5e7cbfec39610fff56.jpg

I was doing some practice climbing today just to stay in shape. That petzal above is the one that I have. I just put the tag end through a regular carabiner and that works pretty well for me. The only thing is the hand ascender is loud when it advances up the tree. I tried a regular carabiner and prusik in foot loop and it was much quieter. I think I will tie my beal jammy in a auto block configuration and use that as a top ascender, I used my madrock safeguard as my capture device.

I just use a carabiner attached to the hand Ascender.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I want to buy a hand ascender to compliment my one stick method. I would only use the hand ascender for retrieving dropped items or leaving the rope in the tree for a returning hunt (hunting a spot one afternoon with one stick method and returning the next morning).

I would like a hand ascender that is light, efficient and will store in my pack and be there when needed.

Suggestions?

Screenshot_20210330-074549.png

This is the one I purchase and posted in the pics above. I've been very happy with it. I know it's not a well-known brand. But I also use it strictly for climbing back to the platform. I one-stick almost all the time.

I never even bothered buying a hand ascender. I just use a distel hitch.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Is a roller in the hand ascender necessary or make it that much easier when climbing. I’ve seen some ascenders with rollers included and I have seen carabiners with rollers.

Looks like the rope would flow easily over a smooth surface carabiner without a roller to me.....

A basic carabineer will work just fine. The roller, whether on the ascender or built into the carabineer, just makes for less friction, making it a little smoother.

With the pulley you don't have something else that could possibly make noise. You could use a good plastic beener instead I suppose to limit noise.

Standing up straight while climbing makes SRT much easier. Getting horizontal makes it nearly impossible. Upper carabiner is really just to pull in slack in a downward direction so a pulley is not necessary.

Back