• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stabilizers

TheYote

Nov 3, 2018
While awaiting my VXR 31.5 I’m going to be putting a front and rear stabilizer on but not sure what the best length is. I know that’s most likely preference but looking for some examples people use. The be seen a lot of 12/10 and 10/8. Even a few (8/6). Although I think 8/6 wouldn’t help, May as well just have an 8 and nothing else.

MathewsMan7

Dec 2, 2019
I shoot the VXR 28...I run a 10 inch flatline up front and an 8 inch flatline out back. Currently have 2 ounces up front and 3 out back...I think a 10 and an 8 should do you fine...12 and a 10 wouldn’t be bad either

Gator

SH Member
May 20, 2019
Virginia
I've been shooting my VXR31.5 with no stabilizer. :( I've shot all different lengths of stabs (well 12" and under because of 3D rules) and honestly I've never noticed much difference so for hunting I might have a little short one on but just as likely to have nothing. I'm old school though

MathewsMan7

Dec 2, 2019
With the new bows, especially the VXR, I don’t believe you need any stabilizers when it comes to hand shock or holding on target...the new bows are just so quiet and dead in the hand already it’s really pretty amazing...where I really noticed the stabilizer setup help me was acquiring the target much faster, slowing my pin float a little, and getting my bubble level as soon as the draw cycle dumps into the back wall...I personally couldn’t do that without the stabilizers.

Reactions: TNbowhunter

Gator

SH Member
May 20, 2019
Virginia
With the new bows, especially the VXR, I don’t believe you need any stabilizers when it comes to hand shock or holding on target...the new bows are just so quiet and dead in the hand already it’s really pretty amazing...where I really noticed the stabilizer setup help me was acquiring the target much faster, slowing my pin float a little, and getting my bubble level as soon as the draw cycle dumps into the back wall...I personally couldn’t do that without the stabilizers.
Does your bow naturally lean to one side? The VXR is already heavy to me, I don't want any more weight to it. Of course most bows are heavy as I'm in love with my ancient DXT.

MathewsMan7

Dec 2, 2019
Does your bow naturally lean to one side? The VXR is already heavy to me, I don't want any more weight to it. Of course most bows are heavy as I'm in love with my ancient DXT.
Yes, it wanted to Kant to the right a little at full draw...probably had something to do with my not so perfect grip at full draw...kicking my back stabilizer out to the left got rid of that for me...

as far as the weight goes, adding weight actually helps stabilize pin float, especially when nervous or adrenaline is pumping which I’m a fan of...I don’t hunt out West and hike with my bow for miles and miles. I’m also in pretty good shape so I’m not worried about walking with an extra 2 pounds...especially when the added weight helps me when it matters most—at the shot!!!

just my opinion, of course

Gator

SH Member
May 20, 2019
Virginia
Yes, it wanted to Kant to the right a little at full draw...probably had something to do with my not so perfect grip at full draw...kicking my back stabilizer out to the left got rid of that for me...

as far as the weight goes, adding weight actually helps stabilize pin float, especially when nervous or adrenaline is pumping which I’m a fan of...I don’t hunt out West and hike with my bow for miles and miles. I’m also in pretty good shape so I’m not worried about walking with an extra 2 pounds...especially when the added weight helps me when it matters most—at the shot!!!

just my opinion, of course
Hell yeah, whatever works for you is all that matters.

Bowmanmike

Dec 15, 2019
I shoot a halon x with a short 6" stabilizer. I probably don't even need that one as the bow is heavy to begin with,4.5 or 4.7 #,cant remember. I am with matthewsman,i prefer a heavy bow for little pin float. Since getting into saddle hunting allowed me to shed so much weight for my hunts i really dont mind lugging the bow around. I am in NY,so no crazy long hikes. A mile may be the furthest i can go here as far as state land sizes in my area.

TNbowhunter

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Middle Tennessee
I recently moved from a cheap 6" vibration-dampener to a 10" Bee Stinger legit stabilizer, and it made a noticeable difference in my pin float. My bow feels very balanced in my hand, so don't know that I'll add a back bar, but I'm definitely a believer in using a true stabilizer to improve aiming.

Jamvm21

Oct 6, 2019
I recently took my 8” Bee Stinger off of my bow and I shot it better than with it. I think a lot depends on your setup and what you want to achieve. I rarely shoot past 30 yards and did not see any advantage in my shooting, but it could make a huge difference to someone else’s setup.

Sgt. Beardface

SH Member
Oct 26, 2019
D over Delaware
I would wait to have the bow in hand before working on it too much. With such as heavy bow you may not need all the weight in either direction. I shoot a PSE Carbon Air and do not use a stab on that bow. As long as you know your safe shooting distances you can ring it in. I would never hunt out west without a good stab set, but as I stay 35 yds and in, I just make sure to practice. Stabs just frustrate me in a stand, and even more in a saddle.
Just my $.02.

-Chuck

OspreyZB

SH Member
Feb 11, 2019
New Jersey
Haven't shot the vxr but Matthews bows are typically top heavy. My no-cam liked some weight on the rear stabalizer. I had a b-stinger 8/6 kit and ended up running the 6 out front and the 8 off the back. I think I had 2 ounces on the front and 4 on the back. You'll just have to play around with the weights until your pin just wants to sit still. Wish I would have kept that bow. It was one of those bows where you could make what felt like a bad shot and your arrow would still somehow hit right behind the pin.