• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stalking cornfields

Slabzilla73

SH Member
Ive never really had good luck stalking a cornfield. Monday I had a good SW wind for a midday stalk. The field was 700yrds by 200+yrds wide, nothing too big and something I could methodically pick my away across. Snow made for easier viewing, but also for some extra crunch. Spotted a button buck about 5 mins in & managed to skirt around without jumping. About 20 mins later after zig zagging back, I walk up on a bedded spike, and mean walk up on, he was 10yrds upwind. Videoed him for min or 2 n moved on. About 30 mins later a hen pheasant scared the **** outta me, shouldve known it was coming cuz I saw the tracks. A lil too focused I guess.

So Im halfway thru this field now, saw 2 more button bucks. Getting closer to the Mich highway, losing a lil faith in this method of hunting. Then I walk up & by a bedded 4 or 6pt. Videoed a lil bit before I get caught. I got greedy. Ill try posting a screenshot of him but not very good with technology.
So Im on the last stretch of field, getting a lil rammy, so I stop n convince myself that its almost over & need to finish this job out right. Nothing worse than boogering up a hunt cuz Ive lost patience.

So I start the last leg of the stalk after calming down for couple minutes & checking the lay of the field. I slowly move a couple rows south & find, what I think, is a buck bed in the snow. Creep, look both ways & nothing. Move couple more rows & I see another bed. No deer. Move a couple more rows & another melted bed. I know Ive got to be close. Move a couple of rows again n there is a buck bedded 30yrds upwind of me, looking my direction. Now the work begins.

I watch him for a couple minutes, put the scope on him. Theres just no reason to risk a shot thru the bent/broken cornstalks. So I come up with a game plan. I wait for a good gust & put my left leg in the next corn row. Another couple minutes go by, I wait for another gust & fully get in the next corn row. About a 10 min stalk gets me to 10yrds. Hes only got 3 on one of the main beams but looks mature enough for me to shoot. I watch for another 5 mins, he has NO clue Im there. My buddies have all been giving me **** for videoing instead of shooting. He finally lets me see the other beam & hes got 5pts so hes game now. Only I got no shot. I creep to 7 feet, take one last pic, and dumped him in his bed. Gladly, he never knew what hit him.

One of my favorite hunts in years...thnx for listening.

P.S. the deer laying in corn row pic, is of the spike I walked up on. 4 or 6pt pic isnt worth posting too grainy. The circle pic is him 7 feet away before the neck shot.

Attachments

• 20221122_090556.jpg
    20221122_090556.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20221123-073141_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123-073141_Gallery.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20221123-073123_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123-073123_Gallery.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20221123-073316_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123-073316_Video Player.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 74
Congrats man! Great buck and an awesome hunt. Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to try this and often wondered if the tactic is translatable to young pine stands.

Nice work! I love stalking but I struggle in the corn. Could you walk us through your method, that you were able to get this close to that many deer without being found out? I'm sure many could benefit from learning how to do this effectively.

Nice work! I love stalking but I struggle in the corn. Could you walk us through your method, that you were able to get this close to that many deer without being found out? I'm sure many could benefit from learning how to do this effectively.
Well 1st & foremost I'm no expert so please take into consideration. I start at the complete opposite end of the field so I can head into the wind. I start about 50yrds or whatever is a good look down both ways of the corn rows. Just work slow and steady, 1 row at a time. I glass each row with binoculars. When youve reached the last corn row, move down 100 yrds or so and start heading back across the field with the wind. Repeat the process. NO RUSH. Its possible to bump a deer but you should be far enough down the field to be passed where you've already glassed. When you find a deer, stop immediately & check your surroundings and see what you can use to your advantage, weed clumps, fallen branch etc. I've done it many times, but this is actually my 1st harvest doing so. So again Im no expert. Hope this helps.

Well 1st & foremost I'm no expert so please take into consideration. I start at the complete opposite end of the field so I can head into the wind. I start about 50yrds or whatever is a good look down both ways of the corn rows. Just work slow and steady, 1 row at a time. I glass each row with binoculars. When youve reached the last corn row, move down 100 yrds or so and start heading back across the field with the wind. Repeat the process. NO RUSH. Its possible to bump a deer but you should be far enough down the field to be passed where you've already glassed. When you find a deer, stop immediately & check your surroundings and see what you can use to your advantage, weed clumps, fallen branch etc. I've done it many times, but this is actually my 1st harvest doing so. So again Im no expert. Hope this helps.
Also a stronger wind is essential, thats important.

Thanks! It's more or less the process I've tried, but I probably am not patient enough with glassing. Some of our fields are massive in this part of the state so I guess I start to move too fast. That and stepping across rows can be tough to do without causing a ton of noise if you bump a cornstalk. I try to wear lighter clothes to help with this but it still happens. Yeah just saw you like a wind to help hide this.

Great story. I love happy endings lol. Does and spikes let me walk up on them but I have never gotten anywhere near a mature buck on foot. That alone is is an accomplishment to me. Thanks for sharing.

Back