• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stand access and wind direction

treefox 1

SH Member
One thing I don't see talked about much is stand access and wind direction, I use scentlok clothing which should be ok ,but I still try to have the wind direction ,in a good direction there are stands I don't hunt because of thatwhat do you guys do?

Keep my stand locations mobile and move based upon wind directions.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but IMO regardless of your(the collective your) scent control practices, you (collective you) need to keep the wind as a priority when you setup. Scent control does not make you scent free, thats impossible, it only reduces your scent. Depending on how thorough ones scent control is, the effectiveness of it will vary. therefore, the deer could still potentially pin you. just being alive creates new scent, nothing you can do about it. On top of that, bucks use the wind in very specific ways. learning how they can potentially use the wind could also swing the favor to you. I have a few spots that favor the deer but i have a thin line where they can come in under the wind, these spots produce the best hunts for me. I focus on those types of areas, as well as areas that may force a deer to travel in a manner that would give me the wind! Wind is a topic that can get extremely complicated very quickly, but getting a basic understanding could drastically improve your odds!

If your using Scentlok clothing and a proper scent control regiment, then wind dont make a difference, lol. Have confidence in the technology and dont spook deer by letting then see or hear you during your entry and setup.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but IMO regardless of your(the collective your) scent control practices, you (collective you) need to keep the wind as a priority when you setup. Scent control does not make you scent free, thats impossible, it only reduces your scent. Depending on how thorough ones scent control is, the effectiveness of it will vary. therefore, the deer could still potentially pin you. just being alive creates new scent, nothing you can do about it. On top of that, bucks use the wind in very specific ways. learning how they can potentially use the wind could also swing the favor to you. I have a few spots that favor the deer but i have a thin line where they can come in under the wind, these spots produce the best hunts for me. I focus on those types of areas, as well as areas that may force a deer to travel in a manner that would give me the wind! Wind is a topic that can get extremely complicated very quickly, but getting a basic understanding could drastically improve your odds!

Being dead creates a lot more... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You just can't wait to hunt your best spots and then a weather front comes in and there goes the wind direction ! I guess more scouting!

This is an area where the being a saddle has a huge advantage. I do my best to find multiple trees with multiple entry and exit routs in a given area for different winds, that is what I consider a kill spot. It may require a longer walk or through more difficult terrain than I'd like but the saddle accommodates this tactic because I don't have to have a stand actually set in each of these trees. @ThePennsylvanian you are spot on in my opinion in saying that a hunter can never eliminate 100% of their scent. That being said adhering to a sent control regiment can up your odds of getting a shot. Not that a down wind deer won't smell you but may weaken or diminish your scent just enough to not send him in to orbit and allow for a shot. Except for some extremely remote places, Whitetail Deer in most areas that of the country get some form of human interaction and smell a human on occasion their response depends on the strength and freshness and if they perceive that level of scent to be a threat

Back