• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stand without the stand for a platform?

Tom Karrow

I have a few LW stands but I am going to try a saddle. I am wondering if anyone has simply removed the stand platform from a tree stand to make a saddle platform? This would leave a standard length shaft with the seat/platform on the top... any thoughts?

Pros
- I already have it
- save me $$
- convertible from standard tree stand to saddle platform

Cons
- it would weigh slightly more
- it would be slightly longer and therefore less convenient
- requires some work to switch back and forth

Others?

Thanks, Tom

Lots of folks have done that on here. I think if your ran a DaveT1963 platform search you'd come up with a ton of information. His YouTube channel has some more for you to see.

Tom, you could do that but it's really a much bigger platform than you need and will be a hassle to transport.

Pretty sure he was leaving the the bottom section of the stand at home.

It would weigh a little more. You would still need another batwing since the bottom of the platform is the standoff. I would still want to use a strap or amsteel to cam the seat down tight. Saddle hunting puts more lateral force side to side and standing on the seat makes the pole flex out from the tree vs pulling straight down on the pole when standing on the lower platform.

I have a few LW stands but I am going to try a saddle. I am wondering if anyone has simply removed the stand platform from a tree stand to make a saddle platform? This would leave a standard length shaft with the seat/platform on the top... any thoughts?

Pros
- I already have it
- save me $$
- convertible from standard tree stand to saddle platform

Cons
- it would weigh slightly more
- it would be slightly longer and therefore less convenient
- requires some work to switch back and forth

Others?

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom

I will lend you some climbing paws or Jim steps to try. If you like them I could part with 4 or 5. Some use these for a platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would weigh a little more. You would still need another batwing since the bottom of the platform is the standoff. I would still want to use a strap or amsteel to cam the seat down tight. Saddle hunting puts more lateral force side to side and standing on the seat makes the pole flex out from the tree vs pulling straight down on the pole when standing on the lower platform.
correct!

great points thanks!T

Back