• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Started with 11mm. climbing rope.

My gear is set up with 11mm rope. Was looking at smaller diameter ropes. They will hold more than my 165-175lbs self can generate in a fall. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Im using mainly 8mm. No issues and I'm a bit heavier.

Also if you plan to use other gear like ropeman's they have recommended rope diameters. I think ropeman 2 goes lower than the ropeman 1 and without looking at them I can't tell you exactly. I think ropeman 1 is 10-13, and ropeman 2 is 8-13, lol I just had to look it up!

Right now I'm using prusik knots. They work fine. I feel like I'm still carrying too much weight. I'm even considering going with the one stick climbing method.

If I am going to dangle, then I am going to dangle in style and security. I am going to stick with my 11mm rope.

I run 11mm static on linesman belt and tether, and 1/4” Amsteel on my bridge, sticks, and WE Stepps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just ordered Samson predator rope in 11mm with a 5" spliced eye. Was using the Hss rope before but i figure the predator rope is much stronger. Dont think you are going to save a ton of weight going from 11mm to 8. That is the one thing holding you to the tree and the should be the strongest piece of gear imo.

Now mind you I've already made the switch and did an hour sit this afternoon. I went with a 3400lbs 5mm for the prusik and a 2400lbs 7mm for linemans belt and tether. Really secure and adjustable. I'm going with a double tether because I like my gorilla harness better than the rock climbing harness. My rig will change again once I save for a kestrel setup.

Be safe. That 7mm rope is rated at less than half the weight my 9mm sterling htp is. Any knots that you tie in it are going to reduce that further. So if you take a fall you are rapidly approaching the point where it may not hold.

Ok I tried the 7mm and it's a little too thin for the tether I'm going back to the 11mm for that. The 7mm is great for the linemans belt. I spliced eyes in for the 5 mm and that seems to be perfect for the bridge. Going to try the 7mm for the morning. Will probably stop there on the bridge.
Since I'm using the sit drag I'm always second tethered in no matter what. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a loop of 5mm into the sit drag to make it stronger.
I'm experimenting with this set to see what works and what doesn't before I buy a saddle setup.
Safety is paramount always double tether especially when trying out iffy mods to new setups. I've been wearing my harness with the factory belt tether and locking carabiner just in case.

Back