• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Starting my own DIY Mantis/Kite

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
Finally taking the leap.

Spent the past few weeks gathering materials and now im getting started. I'll try to post updates. Help and criticism welcome.
802bea572fbc5d5c0f89f4b1f71d0471.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Raytattoos

DaWiz9578

Jan 12, 2019
SE Michigan
What is the saddle material you selected? I have a sewing machine coming this month or next.

What makes it mantis/kite? just the lighter materials or you specifically taking features of each for a more powerful offspring?

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
This is the material:

Not necessarily improving on either design, just don't want to spend the $ on either and thought I could make one myself, at least as a way to try it out. I know I could modify a sit drag and use a RCH, but this is already more cost effective and I have access to several sewing machines.

Derag2

Aug 4, 2019
How much do you think the materials are costing you? I want to try this but don't want to spend 200 bucks or more on a saddle. My mother in law is good at sewing and has a commercial sewing machine.

Reactions: MedicineMan15

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
I'm under $40, and I have enough for 2-3 saddles (minus g hooks and belt buckle I only bought enough for 1). Although, I had 2 sections of 2 inch seat belt material from a "tether" strap from a safety harness package (brand new)..

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
Not much progress being made as I've had quite a few honey-do projects to complete, but tonight I practiced splicing amsteel while watching the newest THP video and Catman, and then made what will be my bridge. First I made a 27" bridge which seemed short, so then I made a 32" which looks better in my mind.

So on a related note, I might have a 27" amsteel bridge for sale cheap to whomever needs it.

ed42331dec1c81b5e17c1cee1948fedd.jpg

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
Nice project I want to build one myself but don’t have a template to work off of
I didn't have a template either, I found another thread on here and someone provided the template they used.

I cut out the material for that template and it's looking like it's going to be too big for me, so I'm trimming it down. When im done, I'll post my final template.

I've taken direction from a few SH members that have made a few of these DIY's. There's a lot of trial and error.

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
After seeking some help from a senior diy saddle stitcher, I adjusted my pattern slightly. Tonight I pinned it together. I have a couple more things to do before I start stitching.
22a864dbfff9b33d6ceaedefc71a384d.jpg

Reactions: Raytattoos

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
Got some straps and buckles set to go.

Waist belt, leg straps with g hooks, and side adjusters.
b29586f548073ebd46d0f8b84b5d5128.jpg

themonarch

Sep 21, 2018
Make sure you are sewing with proper thread and using proper nylon. If it holds your weight it's still not safe you need to know how to shock test it.

Reactions: MedicineMan15

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
Make sure you are sewing with proper thread and using proper nylon. If it holds your weight it's still not safe you need to know how to shock test it.
Using gutermann tera 40 as has been recommended several times in here. All the nylon has been load rated.

How would I go about shock testing?

themonarch

Sep 21, 2018
Using gutermann tera 40 as has been recommended several times in here. All the nylon has been load rated.

How would I go about shock testing?

Ok thats a good thread to be using, but you also need to know how to stitch it (make sure each stitch is tight with no gapping). For testing if you can load it with about double your weight and drop it from a tree then check through all the stitching is a good way. that might not be the best way to test it, but unless you have access to some equipment its gonna have to do. Just trying to make sure everyones safe with their DIY. The biggest thing thats going to fail is the stitching.

MedicineMan15

Nov 5, 2018
Ok thats a good thread to be using, but you also need to know how to stitch it (make sure each stitch is tight with no gapping). For testing if you can load it with about double your weight and drop it from a tree then check through all the stitching is a good way. that might not be the best way to test it, but unless you have access to some equipment its gonna have to do. Just trying to make sure everyones safe with their DIY. The biggest thing thats going to fail is the stitching.
I agree 100%. I've been testing my stitching on some projects using the same materials that won't be bearing my weight, nor my life, to get everything set up correctly before putting a single stitch into my saddle.

I've been studying techniques used in the sailing industry, and in the articles they've referenced these things you're speaking of, as well as applications for safety harnesses, etc.

Reactions: Matki15