• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Staying warm in cold weather... TIPS?

TheHuntingCho

1st season saddle hunter. I'm worried about how I'll handle the cold when it comes. Are there any tips or advice? Anyone recommend a particular brand or style of wear that helps with the cold?

Not a lot you have to do differently with a saddle. In general the best advice I can give is don't overdress and don't sweat. I spent most of my hunting life overdressing, sweating and then getting cold. In the last couple of years I have gotten a lot better at staying warm by wearing less.

well in the past when it's very cold i stay in a blind with space heaters. but when i got into hunting i told myself that each year i would push and test myself a little further. so this year i've gone with the saddle.
My suggestion is layering. And carrying as much of your clothing in to the base of the tree. You don't want to sweat getting to your tree. And take the time to cool off at the base of your tree. I pull my extra layers up the tree with a pull rope and put them on as I start to get cold.

For me the first thing to ruin a hunt is cold feet. Lately I've been using Sorel snowmobile boots (because that's what i have) and milsurp bunny boots. Bulky and heavy but they keep me in the woods. A poncho liner ("woobie") is a big help as well.

well in the past when it's very cold i stay in a blind with space heaters. but when i got into hunting i told myself that each year i would push and test myself a little further. so this year i've gone with the saddle.

Layering.

Start with a Good base layer. Light or mid weight Merino. Merino is popular for a reason.

Mid/insulating layer. Mid or heavyweight fleece or thinsulate top and bottom. Or puffy pants/jacket. These can also double as outer layers.

Shell/outer layer. Wind proof and/wind resistant. Insulation optional, unless braving extreme cold then make sure it’s also insulated. Does not need to be rain/waterproof. You should by a separate suit for rainy days.

Feet. Boots should be heavy insulated pacs with removeable liner or rubber with 1000gr+ of insulation. Mid or Heavyweight wool socks. Consider packing in a second pair to change into a dry pair at base of tree.

Hands. Light liner gloves with a muff or throw grabber warmers in pockets. If you need something thicker for walk in consider mid weight fleece or wool glove.

Head. Heavyweight knitted wool cap or beanie. Or Sherpa lined hat. Also consider something with wind stopper. For neck you can use a buff or neck gaiter, or a heavyweight balaclava.

Optional: air activated chemical warms. Get some hand ones for your pockets and peel and stick for thighs, kidneys, or anywhere else you need extra warmth.

Also consider a heated vest/jacket.

If you want recommendations on specific brands you’ll get them for days.

Sent from d_mobile

The most important part is that your outer layer must be wind proof. You can have all the layers on in the world, but if they're permeable you're gonna freeze.
i live in lake of the ozarks in missouri. in the winters it can get pretty cold... snow. for me hunting in the snow is my favorite time.

Layering.

Start with a Good base layer. Light or mid weight Merino. Merino is popular for a reason.

Mid/insulating layer. Mid or heavyweight fleece or thinsulate top and bottom. Or puffy pants/jacket. These can also double as outer layers.

Shell/outer layer. Wind proof and/wind resistant. Insulation optional, unless braving extreme cold then make sure it’s also insulated. Does not need to be rain/waterproof. You should by a separate suit for rainy days.

Feet. Boots should be heavy insulated pacs with removeable liner or rubber with 1000gr+ of insulation. Mid or Heavyweight wool socks. Consider packing in a second pair to change into a dry pair at base of tree.

Hands. Light liner gloves with a muff or throw grabber warmers in pockets. If you need something thicker for walk in consider mid weight fleece or wool glove.

Head. Heavyweight knitted wool cap or beanie. Or Sherpa lined hat. Also consider something with wind stopper. For neck you can use a buff or neck gaiter, or a heavyweight balaclava.

Optional: air activated chemical warms. Get some hand ones for your pockets and peel and stick for thighs, kidneys, or anywhere else you need extra warmth.

Also consider a heated vest/jacket.

If you want recommendations on specific brands you’ll get them for days.

Sent from d_mobile
wow you have a wealth of information on this! thank you so much!

Good base layer. Wick the sweat. Starts there.
ok thank you!
For me the first thing to ruin a hunt is cold feet. Lately I've been using Sorel snowmobile boots (because that's what i have) and milsurp bunny boots. Bulky and heavy but they keep me in the woods. A poncho liner ("woobie") is a big help as well.
are you wrapping yourself with the poncho liner while sitting in the saddle? are you able to take it off when preparing for a shot?

wow you have a wealth of information on this! thank you so much!

I’m in midwest northern climates... hunting into single digits is common and a heated blind - luxury of luxuries - is not always available. Many years of trial and error (and many dollars spent) of literally freezing on stand has gotten me to a point where I’m confident in my gears ability to take me into a temp range where I can stay comfortable. If you need/want brand recommendations just ask. Though be warned if you are needing to buy up everything for a good layering system be prepared to open up the wallet...

Sent from d_mobile

My suggestion is layering. And carrying as much of your clothing in to the base of the tree. You don't want to sweat getting to your tree. And take the time to cool off at the base of your tree. I pull my extra layers up the tree with a pull rope and put them on as I start to get cold.
thank you for the advice!

I’m in midwest northern climates... hunting into single digits is common and a heated blind - luxury of luxuries - is not always available. Many years of trial and error (and many dollars spent) of literally freezing on stand has gotten me to a point where I’m confident in my gears ability to take me into a temp range where I can stay comfortable. If you need/want brand recommendations just ask. Though be warned if you are needing to buy up everything for a good layering system be prepared to open up the wallet...

Sent from d_mobile
Yeah... seems every winter that's when I'm spending all my earnings from the summer :p

ok thank you!

are you wrapping yourself with the poncho liner while sitting in the saddle? are you able to take it off when preparing for a shot?
Honestly this is my first year in a saddle. But I use it to wrap up whatever is cold as an extra layer - sometimes feet, sometimes around my torso, sometimes between myself and the seat. There are no zippers or snaps but it can catch the wind if I'm not careful.

Honestly this is my first year in a saddle. But I use it to wrap up whatever is cold as an extra layer - sometimes feet, sometimes around my torso, sometimes between myself and the seat. There are no zippers or snaps but it can catch the wind if I'm not careful.
Let me know how it goes! I saw a buck worth shooting last night but when I reached for my bow and picked it up from the bow stand the deer took off. I guess I'm so visible and noisy so need to make some adjustments.

Buy good socks and good boots.

Then hang them on you pack and walk in with wearing a pair of normal socks and sneakers or, if you’re serious about killing deer, Crocs. You can’t wear enough layers on the rest of your body to over come feet in socks wet from sweat. I would even go so far far as spraying your feet with an anti-perspirant at home before you leave the house because it’s cold, right? So the first thing you’re going to do is turn the heat on and set the vents to blow on your feet.

Back