• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Steal of a deal

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Picked up a Coleman 288 and 508A (lantern and stove) for $15 on facebook marketplace. Both are clean as a pin and work with no tinkering. Made my day for sure. Just had to brag. :)

Nothing like canoe camping out of a 1970's Grumman with a white gas stove/lamp combo. Sometimes old school is the best school.
0d84e74f7a5f5e05eb594f21ad69925b.jpg
c6effc9cbf35aa3fcb0a4b2647e623db.jpg
9a39b8946bcf57345fb9edf5c3e168b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You absolutely can not beat the hiss of a pumped up white gas lantern. Brings back some old memories.

Notice the fiber-optic internet router in the top-left. Can't improve upon a fish camp with high speed internet and central air. ;)
d77816841a2c5d484588a47ebd44f419.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That was my go to stove for hunting coffee back in the day. I’m sure it’s still around here somewhere.

Cool,I picked up a stove like that in 1993 on top of a mountain in the San Juan wilderness in Colorado about 5miles in on a elk hunt along with a can of beans and a backpack that was shredded by a bear.This stuff had been there for months and was scattered all over the mountain.Weird the stuff you find in the woods.

Cool,I picked up a stove like that in 1993 on top of a mountain in the San Juan wilderness in Colorado about 5miles in on a elk hunt along with a can of beans and a backpack that was shredded by a bear.This stuff had been there for months and was scattered all over the mountain.Weird the stuff you find in the woods.
That's cool! Best fanny pack I ever used I found on a local WMA tract. It was pretty funky when I found it, but it cleaned up nice and was used hard for 3-4 years before getting knocked off a jon boat.

@Nutterbuster Just picked up a coleman 425e at the thrift store at lunch for $5 decent condition, the tank is mint. I needed a new pup for another stove anyway..this is cheaper than a rebuild kit!!!
View attachment 11661
Sweet! I want a 2 burner to complement my single and lamp at some point. And one of the old military lamps.

Sweet! I want a 2 burner to complement my single and lamp at some point. And one of the old military lamps.
I have like 3 of these...people seem to throw them away, its crazy. the pump gaskets/seals go and people have no idea what to do...oh yeah and people are lazy--propane for most people these days, which is nice, I have one. but prefer these when actually canoe camping. Less waste to carry(empty cylinders) and they are much more efficient.

I have like 3 of these...people seem to throw them away, its crazy. the pump gaskets/seals go and people have no idea what to do...oh yeah and people are lazy--propane for most people these days, which is nice, I have one. but prefer these when actually canoe camping. Less waste to carry(empty cylinders) and they are much more efficient.
I actually prefer gear that can be maintained, since it will all tear up anyway. My lantern needed the generator cleaned, but the seals are all good for now.

And yeah, it was nice last time to just fill the lantern/stove with gas and go. Way more space efficient. No half empty bottles at the end of the trip. And my lantern will run a solid 8 hours on one tank! Way better than propane.

My (and my dads) funniest find. We found a folding buck knife (model 110 I think) in a saddle (dip in the ridge line) in a remote spot hardly anyone hunts. Then two years later we found the same model again in the same spot. We assume the same hunter got a deer there twice (they funnel through there when you drive them out of the creek) and forgot his knife both times.

I made some hunter massively happy. Had my Ruger m77 stainless pulled out of a scabberd about 4 miles in. I retraced back and forth the mile or so it fell out in for 3 days before giving up.

It definitely did. Fortunately it was during my poker days so I had money. Replaced it with a tikka t3 in .300 WSM with a Leopold scope. An upgrade really, but I still miss the ruger. I don't hunt there anymore so no chance of finding it anymore myself, but someone has or will. It was on the main ridge.

It definitely did. Fortunately it was during my poker days so I had money. Replaced it with a tikka t3 in .300 WSM with a Leopold scope. An upgrade really, but I still miss the ruger. I don't hunt there anymore so no chance of finding it anymore myself, but someone has or will. It was on the main ridge.
big bummer.

I have a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm. Quite a nice rifle, shoots straight and quite light. Though, I still like my model 70 featherweight better.

big bummer.

I have a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm. Quite a nice rifle, shoots straight and quite light. Though, I still like my model 70 featherweight better.
Since it's my thread, I'mma go ahead and hijack it for a sec.

How do you guys like your wsms? Is it an appreciable amount of recoil over an 06? And isn't a wsm a short action caliber?

I need one like I need a hole in my head, but hey...:)

big bummer.

That's some pretty amazing odds. You reply to my post, then we both have the same not massively common rifle and caliber.

How do you guys like your wsms? Is it an appreciable amount of recoil over an 06? And isn't a wsm a short action caliber?

We already hijacked it :)

kick vs. 30.06. how longs your barrel? kicks a hell of a lot less than my 06 remington 740 woodmaster carbine.

yes, its a short action caliber. I like it a lot. I shoot a 30 cal bullet 100% of the time and rotate between a 300wm, 300wsm, and a 300 weatherby. I like the 300wsm the best, but I like my model 70(in 300) best rifle wise so I always grab it. I shoot winchester silver ballistic tips(originally, "fail safes") out of the wsm and the wm. I"d be shooting the wsm all the time if it wasnt for the stupid safety on the tikka. I just love the 3 way safety on the winchester. Not being able to open the bolt when it is on safe drives me nuts.

ballistics are good on the wsm. action is quick and light. I have no complaints.

I got it because I mostly elk hunt these days and shoot incidental deer or bear that show up while hunting elk. So I got an elk caliber. My Ruger was .270 and I killed every elk I shot with it. Yes, it kicks harder, and you really don't need it, even for elk. I think I mostly just wanted to try something new. I've only used 3 deer/elk type rifles in my life. I started with a bolt action 30/30 my dad owned, got the .270 when I was mostly hunting deer (well, was hunting elk, just not seeing any) then got the .300 WSM after we were having solid success on elk.

So, no, living in the east I wouldn't bother with it, no need for it.

Back