• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

stealth steps?

Just bought at our deer and turkey expo haven't got out to test yet, maybe tomorrow

Stopped by their booth at the ATA and talked to them a little bit. They didn't appear to be very sturdy... material they used seemed to be sub par, I am also not sure how the wide strap slots are going to work as a platform. They are advertised so that when you step on the step, it slides down the tree, thus wedging the step tighter to the tree. They have and interesting idea, its a larger more packable climb paw.

Thanks,
Boswell

1st impressions:

Got it in today. I don't think it will fit my needs as a platform. I never could get one tight enough with the provided cinch strap to have a solid platform to lean on the sides. It wasn't designed that way. Its a ladder step. I put it on the boat buckle strap and it still moves side to side a little but is better. The strap is too high up on the step to put pressure on the bottom. If the bottom wiggles the platform wiggles. Its not bad and is usable but it may make noise when you got one in bow range and try to lean out. They will work fine with the provided cinch strap to use as a ladder, stepping in the center. But I don't like the provided straps either. I don't like that they are black but he is working on getting a different color. I don't like threading it through the step then trying to flip a loose strap end around a tree in the wind or on a big tree. Then have to thread it through the buckle. The buckle has the strap sewn onto it on one end with a tail of strap about 1ft hanging to use to aid in pulling tight. So it takes 2 hands to pull tight; one on the tail thats sewn on and another on the tag end of the strap. Thats how the owner recommends getting them tight. Then you have 2 tails hanging in the wind from the buckle. I hate loose ends. You could stuff them behind the step some how, I guess. I tried the ameristep cinch buckle and strap and they work a lot better for assembly. I could get them just as tight as the provided strap. I thought about whoopie slings and UCRs with amsteel but I never came up with a easy way to get them very tight. The step design would have to wedge tight as you put downward pressure. The radius on the back of the step doesn't do that. It looks like thats what it would be made for but it only touches the strap after the step is pushed all the way down. I told him that the radius needs to protrude into the step more to touch the strap while its at the bottom and get tighter as you push it down. He said it would be a patent infringement.
I agree with Boudreaux. I don't like the plastic. Its 80deg here and its noisy and twist when rocking weight from side to side. I discussed this with the owner as well. He said he had to find the balance of glass to add to the plastic for it to flex enough to not crack in the cold but be rigid enough in the heat and still be an acceptable weight.
Lots of ideas I had on how to design the step to wedge tighter or bite the tree better he said he thought of but ran into patent issues. He gave me some examples. Its sad. We could really have some good steps out there if all these patents could be used and combined. But the cost of using those patents wouldn't be worth anyone building the step. So ideas are locked away, holding us back from getting better products. Tough business.

That is a great example of why I feel DIY and customization will really supersede any production equipment in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that update! That's too bad, but I can't say I'm surprised. I hope he does well selling them as steps!

Sent from my mobile command center

IkemanTX said:
That is a great example of why I feel DIY and customization will really supersede any production equipment in my future.

x2

ADKMtnTrapper said:
redsquirrel said:
IkemanTX said:

x2

x3!!

X4. Mass manufactured components are affordable and work for the masses, but they'll only be optimal for a select few. With DIY you can optimize to yourself and not worry about patents, even if the trial and error ends up costing more in the long run.

You know, rapid prototyping has come a long ways. You can design your own step and get it 3d printed out of glass filled plastic, aluminum or even titanium. You just need to open your wallet nice and wide. :D

bowhunter15 said:
You know, rapid prototyping has come a long ways. You can design your own step and get it 3d printed out of glass filled plastic, aluminum or even titanium. You just need to open your wallet nice and wide. :D

And my wife has a permanent vice on my wallet...

I received mine today and gave them a quick test.
I think that with some tinkering, they'll be ok for platform. Maybe.
Here is a summary of my thoughts abOut them and possible solutions along with a couple pics

First, I think I'll need to find a different strap so I can get them really tight. That alone would make most of my concerns go away.
I put them on the tree with the included cam buckle strap. Although I love cam buckle straps, I wasn't able to get them tight enough so that they didn't move. So, I'll try different straps and post those changes later.
The only other real issue I had would be partially eliminated if I could get them tight enough. That issue was noise. As I stepped and leaned in both directions using two steps, they would pull down on the strap (kinda like ameristeps on a strap) and creak (they're plastic and fairly large).
I think that with some kinda cloth or rubber on the back and bottom point, along with a tighter strap, this problem would be minimal if not completely eliminated.
So, for a platform, I think they'll be good once I'm able to fix those two issues.
I wouldn't wanna lug a big set of them to use for cLimbing, but I can manage two of them for a platform that will allow me to go most of the way around the size trees I hunt from.
I think they're gonna be workable.
Here's a few pics of me leaning as far as I could to try to cause them to misbehave. They did. I'll Fix it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1466123605614.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1466123605614.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 189
  • uploadfromtaptalk1466123613560.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1466123613560.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 186
  • uploadfromtaptalk1466123620738.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1466123620738.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 185
  • uploadfromtaptalk1466123626250.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1466123626250.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 181
  • uploadfromtaptalk1466123633957.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1466123633957.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 179
  • uploadfromtaptalk1466123642092.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1466123642092.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 180
  • uploadfromtaptalk1466123646471.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1466123646471.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 175
You can get them tighter on a smooth bark tree. Any odd shape to the trunk makes it worse. Old ameristep straps worked better than otm. Boat buckle worked best. I gave up on them. I don't want to carry the bulky things.

That makes sense about smooth bark trees. And more perfectly round ones.
But half my previously chosen trees are hickory or oak.
I was thinking the ocb would work, as well as ratchet strap (although I dislike the noise of tightening them).
I'm gonna be playing with these to see if I can find a place for them as platform in my gear.
I think I can handle carrying two, but I definitely would not want to carry ten or more. They're too bulky. That's basically the same reason I sparingly use the Stepp system and it's counterfeits. They work fine, but small and light is the name of the game here.

Hey guys I saw these steps at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg Pa this past Feb. I didn't realize he just released them this spring. At the time I thought they were huge, but thought they might be able to be a nice big platform. Pretty bummed they don't stay up and are difficult to manipulate.
Wasn't sure how much noise the plastic in the steps would make, but I do love that they stack inside of each other. I do hope he sells a bunch of them bc it's nice to see local small companies succeed. I do wish instead of having to thread the strap through the holes in the step that they would have just cut a slit to slide the step over the step that's is wrapped around the tree.

I tried them out at their booth at the Deer Expo in Birmingham a month ago and did not like how they moved when you didn't step in the center of the step and seems a little flimsy to me.

Back