• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Steel Hex 2.0

LeanMachine

After building my other hex platform 100% cut and weld, i wanted to do one using the bender as much as possible. Im using the like $80 harbor freight bender that is really designed for flat stock. There is a bit of a learning curve to it. I decided to just waste some material to build some data on creating various angles. That was a good call. Now i have lots of data on where to stop for various angles and how much material it up takes.

I don't know that this design is an improvement but it was fun to design and build and it is bomb proof. I don't know what it weighs because my scale battery is dead. Id guess a hair over 3 lbs.

I would like a buckleless strap to attach it to the tree. I mocked up a stap like Carl makes for sticks. I have a ton of heavyweight backpack webbing so that is what i used. Concept tested valid but, as expected, that webbing has WAY too much stretch even in just a few feet. Can anyone recommend a specific webbing that is super low stretch and strong? I was happy to see that with me jumping on the edge the webbing was starting to shear and still no sign of stitch failure. I will have to modify the design so that shear force is done away with and the load is evenly distributed.
ad8aa90fae9ee9e1de0c93c3326b8804.jpg
af867ed7bb1b6d945117ea1d1e3f8df1.jpg
ae79f02ce5fb48f3458d571894f69f97.jpg
71757600db7f14266e77eff888c58be8.jpg
92a99b562a6d95932088e173457af5ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The HF kinkomatic is a good tool.....just make sure the seam of your material in on the inside of the radius.....if it starts kinking to much try packing your tube or pipe with sand and preheat it

Cool design, I love seeing the things that everyone on the site makes.

I used some 1" tubular nylon webbing for a bridge at one point. It had very little stretch and was rated at 4000 lb tensile strength. Maybe someone else has used it for a platform and could confirm.

The HF kinkomatic is a good tool.....just make sure the seam of your material in on the inside of the radius.....if it starts kinking to much try packing your tube or pipe with sand and preheat it
Thats a good call on the seam. I did not think about that. What i have found to be key is to use inside and outside dies that lay up to have very minimal room for slop so that the tubing is fully supported as it is forced around. Im running the 2.5" die inside and the 3" on the outside. The 1/2" tubing slips between them very snug. I would imagine it is a less useful tool as the rubing gets larger but i have had great luck with it on 1/2"

That is killer! You need some of the new Versa Strap that is coming out. It's dyneema so no stretch to it. Great idea!

That is killer! You need some of the new Versa Strap that is coming out. It's dyneema so no stretch to it. Great idea!
Who will be making versa strap / where will it be available from?

Who will be making versa strap / where will it be available from?

Tethrd will be releasing it in a week or so ready to ship. I’ve been messing with it that past couple weeks it’s pretty sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a good call on the seam. I did not think about that. What i have found to be key is to use inside and outside dies that lay up to have very minimal room for slop so that the tubing is fully supported as it is forced around. Im running the 2.5" die inside and the 3" on the outside. The 1/2" tubing slips between them very snug. I would imagine it is a less useful tool as the rubing gets larger but i have had great luck with it on 1/2"

I built mine using the HF bender as well. I made a die on the lathe at work to do 1/2" tubing. Its 2" and I use the 2 1/2" die as the pusher. It's what i made my DIY wild edge steps and few other things with. That square tube die makes it so much easier and ya never have to worry about kinking.

Tethrd will be releasing it in a week or so ready to ship. I’ve been messing with it that past couple weeks it’s pretty sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If ya send me some I'll be glad to test it out ;)

Back