• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Steps next to predator?

I'm a lefty, so I've practiced some putting a WE step at 3 o'clock. It helps me move to the side of the tree,so I can shoot the 9-12 offside shot. I think I'm just going to practice the pivot more and do away with it.

Has anyone put a couple of steps on their predator strap? To have one on each side for additional pivot points?
I think you only need the extra step(s) to the bow hand side of the platform. Simply rotating your body gets you the shot fully behind you. A step or two to the bow hand side walks you around the tree to clear the normal tree interference. To the draw hand side if you step around the tree it doesn't really give you any shot advantage that I can see.

Several guys on here have done it. I guess it may help with shooting around larger trees but personally, I don't get too hung up on the ability to shoot 360 anyway. However, it is easily accomplished with only the predator platform by itself without adding anything to it......provided that you aren't hunting large diameter trees.

I do it. Not with a predator but have with a ring of steps. I feel like the rings on the draw side are equally important because it allows me to rotate further around to the rear for shots on that side.

I got shipping notification that my predator was on it's way. I have been mulling over the incorporation of the platform in conjunction with the stirrups, but at this time I do plan on using the stirrups and the platform together, unless it becomes an issue. I have a feeling that the platform is going to work well with another saddle idea that I have in mind.

If you set the predator up correctly it is plenty solid for you to push off from the side of it and shoot around the tree. It took me a few tries to learn how to get it solid enough but once you figure it out I don't think you will need an extra step. I really like the predator.

I do a separate three step ring and love it. I sit for long periods and love to move to different positions. It could be metal but I feel a lot more confident with them. I had them on the Predator strap but didn't like the install.

When I shoot off of the predator I can swing to 6 o'clock no problem. So anything coming from 12 to 6 is fine. When I'm leaning back and turned to 6 o'clock it's was hard to get my balance centered so I could use the pivot to finish the off side swing from 6 to 12 Here's what I came up with to get back to center balance on the platform with limited movement. I'm a lefty so I have my bow in my right hand. I tuck my elbow on my left arm under the bridge which is tight from my weight, I'm hooked to the D-loop with my release I slowly bend at the knees, and kind of push back with my elbow at the same time until I've got my ass under me then I can just stand and pivot. I practice the movement super slow. Then I can just wrap into the bridge and cover 6 to 12 on the off side. I figure the deer is quartering away at this point so I can get away with the dip, and the elbow is behind your body so it's blocked. I'll have to wait until next year to see if it works as practiced? Should the need arise.

I got shipping notification that my predator was on it's way. I have been mulling over the incorporation of the platform in conjunction with the stirrups, but at this time I do plan on using the stirrups and the platform together, unless it becomes an issue. I have a feeling that the platform is going to work well with another saddle idea that I have in mind.
Hey noxninja, when did you order?

If you set the predator up correctly it is plenty solid for you to push off from the side of it and shoot around the tree. It took me a few tries to learn how to get it solid enough but once you figure it out I don't think you will need an extra step. I really like the predator.
How do you set it up?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I carry two steps on a separate boat buckle - just prefer that to putting any steps on the same strap as my predator. I do not sue them most of the time just on large trees.

I’m a big advocate for using them. Cost me a nice 10pt my first year using a platform by not having them. That pose that looks so nice on the saddle hunter logo will get you picked off. I typically hunt bigger trees and find the side steps add significant value to the setup.

How do you set it up?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Put the strap around the tree, tight, with the platform vertical, lying against the bark. Once tightened, then push the platform down by the top of the bar, not the platform. It should move an inch or two. Then, rotate the platform parallel to the ground. If it's too tight and the platform won't level, back off just a hair until it will go level. I hope that made sense.

Back