• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Steps on straps vs. WE steps as platform

Dragsmack

I have both WE steps and silent approach steps on a ratchet step, and have been trying to decide which is the better platform. The WE steps are more solid, but the steps on a ratchet strap seem easier to set up. I have trouble getting the WE steps level, even after watching Andrew's video. It seems like it is hard to find a place to cam over without being on the other ropes.

Ratchets can be a little louder and the bullman steps can sometimes not get super tight.

Any tricks for getting WE steps even? I was leaning more towards the bullman steps but after playing with them today, they are a little small, can shift if not set perfect, and it is just one more thing to pack in.

So now Im leaning back towards the WE steps as a platform

What do you guys think?

I am finding that the more I use the Wild edge steps the more I like them! Maybe it’s because I’m getting better with them each time I use them...I would suggest practicing with both and eventually you’ll begin to start leaning one way or the other. Best of luck experimenting!
Have you thought of putting a couple bullman steps on the Wild edge rope?....just trying to think outside the box...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up on getting the wild edge steps level after a couple of tries and nicking the ropes a few times. The way Andrew does it isn’t solid enough to have 280 lbs standing on it. I still prefer the wild edge steps as my platform and it doesn’t really bother me if one is an inch lower than the other. I usually use three and put the middle one a little lower than the two sides. Then I rest my heels on the edge of the lower one and my toes on the steps on the side. Works good for me. I have heard saddle hunters much more experienced than I say they don’t like the wild edge stepps as a platform because they can’t get them on an even plane and don’t want to have to look down as they are moving around the tree. I think it’s really about what you are used to. Even getting ameristeps on an even plane they will be spaced differently on every tree. I just don’t see how anyone who can use strap on steps would miss a step five times as wide even if it is an inch lower.
I don’t have a step platform and can’t say that one is better than the other. I think if you are climbing with wild edge steps it will be easier to get the knot and tension where you need it. I would have ameristeps on an ocb if they weren’t so high. I have some somewhere that I bought new that were reasonable but I refuse to pay $20 for a plastic step.

About 4 bucks a piece on ebay. I can't say enough good things about it. I have settled on using four for all trees. I pull some cut up socks over them for transport to keep them from clanging. Roughly a 3 inch by 3 inch surface to stand on. I have enough for five permanent sets in trees.

I too have tried the Steps but find it too cumbersome to setup for a ring of steps. Can't imagine doing it in the dark. Pete

20180130_171911.jpg

I gave up on getting the wild edge steps level after a couple of tries and nicking the ropes a few times. The way Andrew does it isn’t solid enough to have 280 lbs standing on it. I still prefer the wild edge steps as my platform and it doesn’t really bother me if one is an inch lower than the other. I usually use three and put the middle one a little lower than the two sides. Then I rest my heels on the edge of the lower one and my toes on the steps on the side. Works good for me. I have heard saddle hunters much more experienced than I say they don’t like the wild edge stepps as a platform because they can’t get them on an even plane and don’t want to have to look down as they are moving around the tree. I think it’s really about what you are used to. Even getting ameristeps on an even plane they will be spaced differently on every tree. I just don’t see how anyone who can use strap on steps would miss a step five times as wide even if it is an inch lower.
I don’t have a step platform and can’t say that one is better than the other. I think if you are climbing with wild edge steps it will be easier to get the knot and tension where you need it. I would have ameristeps on an ocb if they weren’t so high. I have some somewhere that I bought new that were reasonable but I refuse to pay $20 for a plastic step.

Same here. I don't worry about them being level. I set the two on the side of the tree slightly higher. It has worked for me so far.

Level set is overrated. You are rising as you move around the tree. Especially with a low tether. Practice how you hunt and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah not level doesn’t bother me. It’s not that far off to miss the stepp. My ameristeps were never perfectly level. WE steps are so solid and big enough for 2 feet on one.

i used the WE stepps all but two hunts last season. I bought some ameristeps and tried them. They were ok and I know I probably didn't give them enough time, but they just were not as solid as the WE stepps to me. I can usually get them pretty level but if they are not it don't bother me .

Ive used both and like both, I think a ring of steps is easier to set up. But i think the WE stepps are more comfortable

I use both depending on my method of climbing. If I am already using the WE to climb then I use them for platform. But If not then I use the ratchet strap. I prefer the WE because I can really side load them with pressure and they do not move, where the ameristeps sometimes move on me. My go to platform is the Ernie outdoors platform with a lone wolf strap to cam it over and I have 2 ameristeps on the lone wolf strap.

The only reason I have strap on steps level is because they're on a single strap. All the trees I preset with screw ins have the steps going slightly higher as you go towards the back of the tree.
100% agree, as your bridge shortens you do not need same level.

I went out today to play with both. Part of my ratchet bent when I was tightening it and quit working, so maybe WE platform is my destiny?

I have no problem seting WE steps until I go to make a platform and move them to either side. I tie them in front of me, they cam over fine, but when I move them to the side, they want to spring back up. I loosen them but then they are loose when they cam over. I eventually get it right, but Icant figure out how.

Im setting on pine trees, if that matters. Have any of you had the same issue?

I went out today to play with both. Part of my ratchet bent when I was tightening it and quit working, so maybe WE platform is my destiny?

I have no problem seting WE steps until I go to make a platform and move them to either side. I tie them in front of me, they cam over fine, but when I move them to the side, they want to spring back up. I loosen them but then they are loose when they cam over. I eventually get it right, but Icant figure out how.

Here is what I think is happening. When you slide the step to the side, it sounds to me like your not getting the legs of the step high enough before you try to cam it over. The only time a stepp tries to spring up is because your not getting the legs of the step as high or higher than the rope that goes around the tree. Setting that step on one side of the tree is a little harder because your using one hand. Hope this helps

Ive been playing with mine mostly on a pine tree. The problem with pine trees is it’s harder to slide the stepp up because of the thick, loose, spongy bark. Trying to slide it up on the side is even harder because you don’t have the leverage. I was thinking to sit in my saddle and swing to each side and cam them over. But I’m hoping to solve my stepp platform mod idea so I won’t need to do any of that. Just need to find the right hook.

Here is what I think is happening. When you slide the step to the side, it sounds to me like your not getting the legs of the step high enough before you try to cam it over. The only time a stepp tries to spring up is because your not getting the legs of the step as high or higher than the rope that goes around the tree. Setting that step on one side of the tree is a little harder because your using one hand. Hope this helps

I think you are right. Im going to experiment tomorrow.thanks!

The rope also tries to come up as your sliding the step around the tree. Pine trees are one of my least favorite trees to use stepps on. I think I’m going to practice more with my hand climber seat for when I know I’m going to be hunting pines. The good thing about pines at least in the south is there are few limbs to maneuver around. The downside is you usually have to get so high to have any cover.

I went out today and Cain was right. I needed to make sure the standoffs were higher than the rope. It rained yesterday, so the pine trees were a little wet and the steps sometimes would dig in so much that they slipped down a little. Overall my platform worked perfect, but with these pines, I have to set the steps very tight. Thanks for your help guys!

What are these steps you are using?

About 4 bucks a piece on ebay. I can't say enough good things about it. I have settled on using four for all trees. I pull some cut up socks over them for transport to keep them from clanging. Roughly a 3 inch by 3 inch surface to stand on. I have enough for five permanent sets in trees.

I too have tried the Steps but find it too cumbersome to setup for a ring of steps. Can't imagine doing it in the dark. Pete

View attachment 4380

Back