• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Steps,spikes,Spurs???

Mattyq2402

I'm purchasing my first saddle, kestral. I know most have strong opinions on what works best for getting up there. I was looking at LW sticks, maybe 5 of them to get up?

What's your best advice for climbing method? Should I predrill holes?

Welcome aboard.

All depends on where you are hunting and if damage to a tree is legal. Public land is always questionable.

Lonewolf sticks are a viable option. Nice and sturdy. I gave a set of 4 to a younger hunter, I did not have enough clearance between the tree and steps. I have a size 14. So I was tie climbing.

A lot of gents are using the Hawk Helium’s because if the dual step.

Another great option are the Wild Edge Stepps. I have set and many others do as well.

Some guys are using a lone wolf hand climber base or seat to the hand climber.

A lot of people do use presets and or predrill trees

Others use a one piece climbing stick.

Then there is the tree gaff/Spikes.

It comes down to whatever works for you.

Back