• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sterling 6mm TRC Tether

MSbowhunter48

Been looking to upgrade to 8mm Oplux and looking at the 6mm trc to use for friction hitch, and it got me thinking could you just use the 6mm trc with a sewn eye as a tether? I feel like there’s something I’m missing here so please enlighten me if I’m thinking the wrong way with this.

The commonly accepted standard for life-supporting rope is a minimum breaking strength of 22kn. TRC is at 15.5.

I've yet to find TRC (or any other 6mm or smaller rope) with sewn eyes. Its hard enough to find hitch cords for 8mm ropes without tying and becoming very familiar with knots.

The beal jammy works great with oplux and is rated at 24kn. So based on what I'm reading, if you could get whatever that rope is, in theory, it could work as a tether- but it would probably be super tough to find a strong enough prusik material to go with it in the 4mm range

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the rating, but I'm pretty certain the Jammy is made from this.
Oplux/Ultra tec/Resc tec all in the 8mm range is as small as I'm personally comfortable going.

The beal jammy works great with oplux and is rated at 24kn. So based on what I'm reading, if you could get whatever that rope is, in theory, it could work as a tether- but it would probably be super tough to find a strong enough prusik material to go with it in the 4mm range

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That’s kinda what I was thinking, hypothetically it would probably work but I figured finding Prusik material small enough for 6mm rope would be a PITA.

I'm not sure about the rating, but I'm pretty certain the Jammy is made from this.
Oplux/Ultra tec/Resc tec all in the 8mm range is as small as I'm personally comfortable going.
I knew there had to be reasons why most folks stop at 8mm. Eventually too small of rope becomes unsafe and sounds like the 6mm would be flirting with that line.

I made a 7mm line by putting 3/16” dyneema in the Technora cover from Samson’s Bailout. The break strength of the dyneema is 5400 lbs, with the cover possibly adding more. Plus it’s easily spliced.
F13A58F9-8689-4917-B82E-3BD245AD9FC6.jpeg

Another problem I see is that even if you found an appropriate 4.0-5.0mm cord to use as a friction hitch on something this small it would probably be a little tougher to release the hitch. The smaller you go, the tighter the knots seem to bind.

I made a 7mm line by putting 3/16” dyneema in the Technora cover from Samson’s Bailout. The break strength of the dyneema is 5400 lbs, with the cover possibly adding more. Plus it’s easily spliced.
View attachment 37483
Wow. Making your own rope to save a few tenths of an ounce? Is it worth it?

Yes, it’s about 30’ long, made to use with a extension cord retracting reel for tree work.

There are marine ropes that made with those materials.

A small piece of wood with a hole makes it easy to release small cord hitches.
16D5A757-981A-4168-A4CF-6876FF33D5C1.jpeg

Back