• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Steve Lamie - First buck from a saddle

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Steve Lamie 2018 - 8 point buck.jpeg

John,

After attending your whitetail workshop last summer and after seeing climb up several trees and immediately disappear behind the their trunks in your saddle I had to get one and this year I’ve exclusively hunted from it and am absolutely hooked. I’ve had many more encounters without being detected by deer and have had the ability to see deer from all angles.

Last season my son and I had a few chances to shoot a nice 8 point but decided we would let him go and hopefully see him the next season. He made it and this summer we had a few trail camera pictures of him and hoped to get a chance at him.

I hunted a tree with one of my old ladder stands in it and was amazed at how much more area I could see than I could when sitting in the ladder stand.

Two weeks ago I was able to “hide” behind the tree while 2 small bucks did some sparring on the other side and that was pretty awesome.

The morning of November 1st it was cold and cloudy. My son was home from college was hunting the other side of the property. About an hour after daybreak I enjoyed watching 4 does feeding in a nearby field and half an hour later two does pooped out from the saplings 20 yards to my right and moved in behind me.

Not far behind the 2 does was the 8 point we had been hoping to see. He moved out of the saplings 30 yards behind me and I waited until he was broadside, came to full draw, grunted to stop him and sent my arrow his way. It connected and to be on the safe side we decided to give him some time before searching. Shortly after noon and after a quick 75 yard track I was fortunate enough to recover my best buck to date.

Two things stood out loud and clear. First, I never would have seen him behind the tree from the ladder stand as I would have been facing the other direction and he made no noise. Second, had for some odd reason I had seen him from the ladder stand, there was no way I could have able to get into position for a shot.

Thanks John for all your help. The saddle has substantially improved my hunting.

Back